Why aren't you at your goal weight?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sinnie

Why aren't you at your goal weight?

Post by Sinnie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:48 pm

Just a thought that popped into my head.

Why aren't you at your goal weight? And if you are, how strict do you have to be to stay there?

I am not at my goal weight because I never stay on track. I will do well for a bit and then start snacking like crazy. But because I usually get back on track fairly quickly, I tend to stabilize at a good weight, but never make it further.

It's funny because if I actually followed the rules day in and day out, I have NO DOUBT I'd be where I want. I'd be skinny! ;) I still snack all the time, binge occasionally, eat dessert way too often and have seconds. Luckily my weight remains stable because there is still *some* structure from No S.

Those who follow No S regularly without fail, are you at your goal?

Just curious :)

determined

Post by determined » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:07 pm

I've been working at NoS off & on for 3 years after a life-long dysfunctional relationship with food. This time around has been my most successful attempt & I'm finally feeling as if I'm developing the eating habits that will carry me to a healthy weight. I'm not at my goal weight because I really just started losing in July, but I've had a decrease in my blood pressure, my cholesterol, and my triglycerides. I'm no longer binging and I'm not longer fighting with myself over food nearly as much as I have been during the majority of my life.

I am VERY strict with the rules. I don't eat a cracker unless it's on my plate. I don't eat an extra bite while doing the dishes, or play Jenga with my dinner plate. I don't know if I'll have to be that strict in the future, but right now, I know these rules are helping me in so many ways. Not only am I losing weight, but I'm not obsessing any more - HUGE to me! I'm not thinking about snacking 'cause I just won't let myself do it. For me, I've needed a complete overhauling of my eating habits & this strict eating plan is working. Once I reach my ideal weight, I may be able to let up on the rules, but even if I can't, I think I'll be okay with that. I've tried EVERYTHING in my life to be free of this eating disorder & this is working for me....and changing me from the inside out. I'm very, very happy to be where I am in this journey.

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

sophiasapientia

Re: Why aren't you at your goal weight?

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:15 pm

Sinnie wrote:Just a thought that popped into my head.

Why aren't you at your goal weight? And if you are, how strict do you have to be to stay there?

I am not at my goal weight because I never stay on track. I will do well for a bit and then start snacking like crazy. But because I usually get back on track fairly quickly, I tend to stabilize at a good weight, but never make it further.

It's funny because if I actually followed the rules day in and day out, I have NO DOUBT I'd be where I want. I'd be skinny! ;) I still snack all the time, binge occasionally, eat dessert way too often and have seconds. Luckily my weight remains stable because there is still *some* structure from No S.

Those who follow No S regularly without fail, are you at your goal?

Just curious :)
You sound like me. :wink: I'm within my goal range, although my personal ideal -- pure vanity here -- is about 3-5 pounds lighter than I am right now. If I am strict and consistent with following the No S rules, I am definitely able to reach and maintain a lower weight. My issue is that when I reach the lower weight, I tend to get sloppy about the rules on N Days. Not everyday but enough that my weight increases. Like you, I nip this in the bud quickly once I'm edging out of my "comfort zone" and the weight decreases once again.

With that said, when I restarted No S in January 2010, I was 20 pounds heavier than I am right now and entering into the "Overweight" BMI category. I've maintained a healthy, relatively attractive weight well within the "Normal" BMI range since this restart and have stayed a consistent clothing size (Yay!) ... I love No S and it definitely works well for me. But I'm still figuring out maintenance and working on being consistent with my habits ...
Last edited by sophiasapientia on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:19 pm

determined wrote: For me, I've needed a complete overhauling of my eating habits & this strict eating plan is working. Once I reach my ideal weight, I may be able to let up on the rules, but even if I can't, I think I'll be okay with that. I've tried EVERYTHING in my life to be free of this eating disorder & this is working for me....and changing me from the inside out. I'm very, very happy to be where I am in this journey.

janie
Brilliant! You are doing so well! And I completely agree that this way of eating has the potential to change us from the inside out. It is a lifesaver. :D

Threadbenders

Post by Threadbenders » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:13 pm

Janie: 'playing Jenga with my plate'---priceless! :lol:

I have not been NoSing long enough to get to my goal weight. HOWEVER, as part of the reasonableness of NoS, I have set my goal weight at a reasonable level--140 lbs. In the past, I have set it at 118 (why is that the ideal number in my mind? I have no idea.) I was at 118 (at 5'6") for about 5 minutes when I was nursing my son. When the little oinker was between growth spurts, I would quickly gain weight. My body doesn't WANT to be 118.

I think my goal is reasonable and attainable. I may re-visit this thread when I get there.

Cathy B
Weight Jan. 2010--252 lbs.
Weight starting Nos September 6, 2011--183.4 lbs.
Current weight--178.4 lbs
Goal weight (?)--140 lbs.

veggirl1964

Post by veggirl1964 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:20 pm

determined wrote:play Jenga with my dinner plate

janie
That cracked me up. The first time around, I gained weight because I was the Jenga Queen! I kept thinking I'd move to a single layer of food once I got the 3 meal habit down. I never did.

I am also here after 3 years on and off, and am also finding that this time around, I just have to follow the rules very strictly. When I was younger, I ate like this naturally for a few years and was always at goal weight.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:05 pm

I'm not at goal because I still use food on the weekends to soothe and entertain myself. My goal is pretty high, too, but I've been a lot thinner and I was eating way, way less than I would on No S and exercising for the equivalent of hours most days of the week. So that is not the way I am willing to live. We'll see where I get after a year of No S, Urban Ranger, and 14 minutes of resistance work 5x a week. Another member of my height said she wanted to get to 140. I really think I'd have to have cancer to get that low again. 154 will put me just inside my "normal" BMI range.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:56 pm

I don't have a goal weight.

But I would be excited to get into the overweight BMI someday.
Looking for intelligent daily defaults of all kinds.
http://claricaandthequestion.blogspot.com/

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:14 pm

Having recently attained the "only" overweight range, I can tell you Clarica that it is an awesome feeling. I am sure you will be there some day.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.