Political views and food

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Who Me?

Political views and food

Post by Who Me? » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:40 pm

http://m.npr.org/story/144572891?url=/2 ... ur-culture

Here's an excerpt from a very interesting piece that ran a few days ago on NPR. It looks at correlations on Internet searches, and observes that liberals and conservatives have different questions about food.

VEDANTAM: There's a sociologist that I spoke with at the University of North Carolina. His name is Phil Cohen. And what he did is he said can we apply this tool to politics. And so he said let me search for prominent, liberal and conservative commentators - people like Rachel Maddow and Stephen Colbert, or Rush Limbaugh.

And what he found, unsurprisingly actually, was that the places where people were doing a lot of searches for the liberal commentators tended to be liberal places. They were places that tended to vote for President Obama in the 2008 election.

WERTHEIMER: California.

VEDANTAM: Exactly. But he also found that the places which searched for the liberal commentators also tended to search for very particular kinds of foods.

WERTHEIMER: Now, that is very strange.

VEDANTAM: So let me play you a little bit of what Phil Cohen told me in terms of what the liberals who are searching for Rachel Maddow are also searching for, in terms of their food.

PHIL COHEN: On the liberal list are arugula pasta, beets nutrition, beets urine, fake meat, fennel salad, firm tofu, a variety of vegetarian cooking, vegetarian recipes. Something like a Republican stereotype of what a liberal food diet might be.

(SOUNDBITE OF LAUGHTER)

VEDANTAM: I have to say, that's a pretty funny list.

WERTHEIMER: It is a very funny list. So what does the other side eat?

VEDANTAM: So on the other side - what he found on the other side was not so much that people were searching for particular kinds of foods...

COHEN: But things about dieting, acai berry diet, prescription weight loss and weight loss pills.

VEDANTAM: And so what it suggests is that when we think about our political orientations, we tend to think that our ideologies determine whether we're Democrats or Republicans. But I think what this research is at least hinting at, is the possibility that our political orientations are really a matter of our identities, are a matter of our cultures. And so if you're somebody who's a vegetarian, who like beet salad, it's very unlikely that you're going to be a Republican.

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:35 pm

Heck I'm a major league democrat and by no means a vegetarian LOL :lol:
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:03 am

I was wondering if this explained the heavily Christian homeschooling slant on this site.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:20 am

Hmm... that's very interesting. Somehow it doesn't seem all that surprising, though.

For the record, I'm pretty darn liberal and not a vegetarian. But I am definitely more interested in arugula pasta and fennel salad than in weight loss pills.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:01 pm

I can tell I'm a moderate in that neither one of those lists resonates with me.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:13 pm

I grow arugula, beets and fennel in my garden. And I'm a vegetarian. And I've never considered using diet pills.

In truth, I'm here to work on my eating habits, more than I am for serious weight loss.