New Here

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mack

New Here

Post by Mack » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:40 pm

Hello,
This is my first post here. I am excited to give the no s a try. I stumbled upon the website a while ago recently bought the book. This sounds like something that will be a real good fit for me and my situation.
I am a middle age male. This morning I weighed 209 lbs. A few weeks ago at a check up, my physician said I am overweight and getting close to obese. That was my wake up call!
Today I had one plate of food for breakfast and that was far more than my usual piece of toast with peanut butter. I was hungry about an hour before lunch and just got back from a big plate of lunch. So day one, so far so good.
I look forward to learning all that I can here.

franxious1

Post by franxious1 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:28 pm

Welcome, Mack!

I am a returning No-S-er. I did well for quite awhile, but then stopped for a long time. Hard to remember why. Anyway, I'm back because this is a very workable, sensible, effective, human plan! It doesn't include so many elements of other diets that get really old after awhile.

You'll find the boards are full of useful information and inspiration.

Good luck!

Lisa

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:56 am

Welcome, Mack! A Friday is a good day on which to start No S.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:46 pm

Welcome home to sanity and normal eating. :mrgreen:
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Welcome, Mack! You weigh just about what I did when I started.

Wishing you similar results,

Reinhard

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:56 am

Welcome! You're almost done with your first week. Hope it's been a good one and the beginning of many.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

losingforgood

Finally! Something I can follow!

Post by losingforgood » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:11 pm

I have been at least a little bit overweight all my life (I'll be reaching the big 40 in February this year), but it really started climbing up in my adult years, until I was 100 lbs overweight. I lost a 55 lbs. on Richard Simmons calorie plan, combined with moderate exercise and plenty of water. But I gained all but 10 of it back during alot of medical problems and a head injury. Well, it's been nearly 3 years since the head injury, and I'm not nearly as active as I was prior to all of the physical and medical trauma. It's been a very slow progress to getting just to where I can function from day to day without exchausting myself. I tried several time to gradually get back to the Food Mover, but I just couldn't stick to it. There just too many really healthy foods that can combat some of the health issues I have, but since they are also high in fat (albeit, the so-called good fats), I would go overboard according to that diet and I would fail miserably each time. I need some simple guidelines that I can live with and not feel guilty for eating foods that are considered forbidden on other diets. I was 230lbs. at my highest weight and dropped to 175 lbs. with Richard Simmons. But as of last weekend, I was 217 lbs. Eventually, I would like to get to 130 lbs., but I will let my body determine how long that will take as I stick to the habits.

I came across this website last weekend after just typing in the search engine, "how am I supposed to enjoy eating out with friends when so manay food at restuarants are forbidden?" Low and behold! The first few links that came up after I hit "enter" had to do with your NO S diet plan! After just reading your plan on the website, I knew that I'd found something that would allow me the right balance between discipline and flexibility, not to mention ENJOYING what I eat! So, I started on Sunday and made habitcals for my diet and for the exercise that I am already trying to get back into. So far, statistically, I'm doing amazingly well, and I'm really telling myself NO! When I'm tempted to grab snacks. I get MOVING on other things that I want to get done around the house, instead of giving into cravings! Not to mention, my stress is down, my physical pains are down, my recovery time in my breathing after excercise is decreasing, and I have not had a migraine for the entire week! And I have NOT deprived myself of any good tasting food that I want, except the snacks and sweets. I've only had one fail day so far, but it wasn't even a huge fail. I just caved on Monday night and had a "diet" icecream sandwich. I will marked it as a fail.

Best of all, I live with my parents again, and I got my mom interested in it right away, and we are holding eachother accountible, since we both have a problem with binge eating. Thank you so so so very much for bringing us all back to the basics. I will be ordering the book at some point, because it will give me an excuse to have another book to read (I love reading) :lol: I will be sure to check in and to read others' posts because I need all the support I can get :-)
I Corinthians 10:13-14; "No temptation has ceased you except what is common to man..."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:03 pm

WW gets a bad rap, but they've been emphasizing portion control for years. Most of us can eat just about anything and attain or maintain a moderate weight as long as we don't eat a lot of it!

Sorry about your head injury, but if you can participate here and read the book, you're well on your way. Having your mom on board will help, too.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

losingforgood

Thanks

Post by losingforgood » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:51 pm

Thank you everyone! Yes, both Richard Simmons Food Mover AND the WW programs have alot of very good aspects about them. Both emphasize gradual calorie reduction and balance, and they don't restrict what foods you can and cannot eat. You just have to account for them. That's what I take with me from those programs....balance. What I like about the NO S so far, is that I don't have to write down everything I eat, and I don't have to close any windows. It's much easier to remember what I eat, when I keep all my foods contained within each meal. I think the hardest part right now, is the midnight munchies. I'm succeeding in resisting the cravings, but it REALLY REALLY takes a huge conscious effort of telling myself that I will not die before breakfast if I don't eat now :lol:

Welcome, Mack! I have great confidence that you and I will be able to do this :D
I Corinthians 10:13-14; "No temptation has ceased you except what is common to man..."