Over 30? In order to lose weight you must...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Over 30? In order to lose weight you must...

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:07 pm

...reduce the number of calories you consume. Increased exercise, though good in many other ways, will not be enough to lead to weight loss.

From our local TV news
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Interesting, although I think we all know in our heart of hearts that in order to lose poundage, you must take in fewer calories and burn more through exercise! There is no magic way around that, unfortunately. Thanks for sharing wosnes!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks for sharing..very interesting...the 5lbs of fat looks disgusting..and seems like a lot of bulk...so for those of us that turn our nose up at "I only lost 5lbs" be glad that seems like a lot of fat!

I'm 55 and definitely know that exercise alone does not work..I'm sure if you spent 4-5 hours in a gym perhaps, but who would do that? Not me.

Counting calories..yuk. Just came off that train ride and came running back to No S..

:)
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:54 am

The great part of living a NoS lifestyle is that it naturally "counts calories" for us by eliminating all the unnecessary calories from sweets and snacks...add to that 14 minutes of daily exercise and you're well on your way to losing weight. The trick is to keep in mind the "sometimes on days that start with S" part of the equation and not have over-the-top weekends that undermine all the good things that occurred during the week! Sigh...easy to say, sometimes difficult to do!
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:31 pm

I kind of thought this was true at any age... That's how I lost weight 3 years ago, at 24.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:28 pm

mimi wrote:The great part of living a NoS lifestyle is that it naturally "counts calories" for us by eliminating all the unnecessary calories from sweets and snacks...add to that 14 minutes of daily exercise and you're well on your way to losing weight. The trick is to keep in mind the "sometimes on days that start with S" part of the equation and not have over-the-top weekends that undermine all the good things that occurred during the week! Sigh...easy to say, sometimes difficult to do!

One of the things that I realized when reading the two books I mentioned in the other post is that the French rarely overdo it. While they may enjoy sweets and treats on the weekends, they are consumed in moderation at the regular times to eat. There's still no random snacking -- and possibly no planned snacking.

I did find myself wondering when they'd eat popcorn! :D
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."