No-S with hypoglycemia?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

catonspeed

No-S with hypoglycemia?

Post by catonspeed » Wed May 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Hey, everyone. I haven't officially started the No-S diet yet, but I really want to.

Problem is, I have hypoglycemia and have to eat much more frequently than just the standard three times a day. What would the remedy be for this, say 5 small, equally sized meals a day instead?

One more question- I can't find a specific diet 'plan' so to speak- what do you fill your plates with, other than the obvious "smart choices" that you hear about (fruits, veggies, whatever)? I am also curious what those of you do who have evening plans right after work.

Usually I get off of work between 5 and 6 pm. I don't always have time to come home to eat before I have to run off to an event or meeting- sometimes I go and only have time to stop for fast food (bad, I know!)- do you guys have any suggestions or tips I could do to make this sort of thing easier, or what sort of remedies there could be for this?

Thanks so much <3

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 10, 2012 12:07 pm

Sure, you can do No-S with 5 meals daily.

No-S is more about the habits surrounding eating, rather than what you actually put on your plate. What you fill your plate with is up to you.

You have some specific needs due to your hypoglycemia, so I'd stick with real, whole foods rather than processed foods (including any energy bars, etc.). You also know what it is you like to eat for your meals.

As for the evening obligations, you have quite a few choices. You could take yogurt, fruit, nuts, bread (or a peanut butter sandwich) to work and plan on eating it later. Soup or leftovers would be good choices. As long as you can keep it stored properly, that could be your best bet.

Fast food isn't the best choice. But you can make some fairly decent choices at some places. You can get a salad or, one of my favorites, Wendy's Chili. Even a burger isn't always a bad solution.

The biggest problem could be remembering that this counts as a meal.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

catonspeed

Post by catonspeed » Thu May 10, 2012 6:09 pm

wosnes,

Thanks for replying!

So basically, the idea behind this is forming a regular habit and keeping to it? I know I'll have a hard time with the soda and whatnot if I have to stop for fast food, and I also know it'll be more difficult because it's not as filling as other stuff.

I guess I'm just kinda confused by the simplicity of this whole program- there's no specific diet plan suggestions or whatever besides 'x plates a day every day period, no snacking, no sweets, and no seconds'! I guess I'm just baffled because it's so simple.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Many of us have said this before -- this is the way we all used to eat before we started snacking continuously and eating more processed foods. It is simple (easy to understand) but not necessarily easy (without effort).
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

determined

Post by determined » Sun May 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Catonspeed...

First of all, welcome! This is a great place to visit often...I wouldn't be where I am today without the support of the people on this forum.

Secondly, I agree with what's been said. This is a matter of habit...and learning to eat like a normally healthy person. As for the 5 meals a day, you absolutely can determine what your body needs & stick to it. Obviously the trick with 5 meals a day is to not eat more than what you would be eating if you had 3 a day. If you need to have a set snack, perhaps you could decide ahead of time how much you can eat and still stay within the plan....maybe keep a saucer in mind instead of a plate-sized snack. I don't know about you, but I'd be tempted to eat more for my snack than I actually needed. I'm sure you're the only one who can determine how much to need to stay feeling okay throughout the day...I'm just adding a caution to be sure that it doesn't get over snack size so that it derails your NoS journey.

Again...welcome!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh