Meals aren't filling enough!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

totljenn

Meals aren't filling enough!

Post by totljenn » Thu May 17, 2012 12:28 am

Hello fellow S-dieters. I had been on the No S-Diet for about a week and couldn't do it because I was getting so hungry in between my meals. I found myself eating monster size proportions in order to fill myself up and then would feel disappointed because I get hungry in between meals.
Can anyone offer some cheap, easy and super filling meal recipes or tips?

Also, I am not a breakfast eater, I like a protein shake and banana then I'll eat big about an hour after...is that ok?

What happens if I'm starving late night? Are healthful snacks ok?

Maybe I just need to read the book again and restart my fire. I have been looking at diet plans and they are a little too extreme for me, i.e. very little carbs and salads with no cheese or nuts, not for this gal! I love food, I love to cook, and I love entertaining. I am feeling so lost and discouraged about my weight loss. I have gained 30 pounds over the last two years and cannot believe it has gotten so out of control. Thanks for reading and any help is always welcome!

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Thu May 17, 2012 1:26 am

how many hours apart are your meals? I find that most of my meals last 4-5 hours. It helps me to try to have protein at each meal. I haven't been at it long so I don't have too much advice... but see if you can adjust those things! Hope everything works out!

M's sick of dieting

Post by M's sick of dieting » Thu May 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi there! I had the same issue for a while. I do better with a big breakfast and lunch with lots of protein and some fat and carbs (of course;) Also I've heard other No S-ers say they'd have a glass of Milk or Coffee in between lunch and Dinner to get them threw. I found these little Protein Shakes I have sometimes to hold me over. They're EAS brand, 17 grams of protein, and only about 110 calories. They help if I know We're having Dinner late, or I just need a little something.

If you've been a long time "dieter" like me, it feels weird to eat big meals cause we've been told to eat less at meals, just to need to eat again in an hour cause I'm starving!! Half the "Diets" you go on now tell you to eat every 2-3 hours. If you do that (which I did) you get hungry every 2-3 hours. It just made me more food obsessed then I already was, and didn't loose anything doing that. Except maybe my sanity.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 17, 2012 1:59 pm

Try 4 meals if 3 doesn't do the trick. Or even 5. Then reduce as your appetite calms down -- or just stay there if you find that number of meals does the trick.

What you really want to do is assert some kind of control over your appetite and break the automatic permasnacking mode most of us in the West are locked into. It may take some work up front, but once you crack this, once the beast of appetite knows who's boss, you're going to feel a tremendous sense of liberation.

Remember, over 90% of the increase in calorie consumption since the beginning of the obesity epidemic has come from snacks, not meals. And increase frequency of snacks, not size of snacks. For women, it's over 100%, because calories from meals have actually gone down.

Meals are not the problem. Meals are the solution.

Best of luck, however you decide to handle this, and keep us posted,

Reinhard

Dale

Post by Dale » Thu May 17, 2012 4:45 pm

I've found that now I've got into the routine of 3 meals a day, I'm not getting terribly hungry in between them. It feels as if my body is expecting food at mealtimes, but not at other times. I agree with M's sick of dieting above: if you eat every 2 -3 hours, you end up feeling hungry every 2 - 3 hours. So it might be a matter of time - it was for me.

I found that being able to drink milk or fruit juice helped. I've spent so many years eating the fruit rather than the fruit juice and avoiding "drinking my calories" that it went against the grain, but I found it useful in establishing the habit. 150ml of milk or juice isn't really a huge amount of calories, but it saved me from having a red day a couple of times.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu May 17, 2012 4:54 pm

I'd wait for breakfast until you're hungry, then stick to the plain and simple rules. Your body will adjust. Really.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

totljenn

Thanks!

Post by totljenn » Thu May 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Wow thank you so much everyone for all the great tips! My plan is to gain more control over when and why I eat. That is what drew me to this diet int he first place. Plus I am all about finding healthy life long habits. I will definitely try the protein shakes, fruit, or yogurt to get me through. I have to remember lots of protein is what my body type loves and make sure I'm getting enough. Thanks again everybody! Together we can do this.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:36 pm

You said you aren't willing to go without cheese or nuts in your salad. Glad to hear that. I found that increasing the proportion of fat was the most effective for me, though I always had about 3 oz. of meat at lunch and dinner, and a serving or two of starch with my freggies.

Let us know what changes you make and how it's going. This won't all get settled in a few weeks. Think in terms of a hundred meals to start.

Have fun! S days comin'.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

krawford13

Post by krawford13 » Fri May 18, 2012 5:55 pm

I had this problem as well. No matter what, I could not make it through to the 3rd meal without crashing. Now I eat 3 small meals a day (protein always included) and a sugar free protein shake at around 3:30 p.m. The shake helps me make it until the 3rd meal. I eat breakfast around 8:30, lunch at 12:30, SF shake at 3:30 and dinner around 6:30-7:00. This really works for me. I was eating way to much food at meals just to make it to the next meal.
kat