WW lifetime member thinks this might be MAGIC

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

runlibby

WW lifetime member thinks this might be MAGIC

Post by runlibby » Tue May 29, 2012 1:54 am

I am a lifetime WW member, and not overweight. However, I have been counting points, on and off, for the last 12 years, and just finished the No S diet book, and am on day 3 of this "diet". I have not counted points at all, and I cannot believe how freeing this has been. I know that I was only spending maybe 15 or 20 minutes a day actually recording food and counting points, but it feels like I have added several extra hours to my day, to spend with my kids, doing much needed work, and spend with my husband. Today, I made a menu/grocery list for the week, and sent my husband to the store to do the shopping! I have not done this in years!! Now that I'm not searching for several different diet foods/snacks for the week, it has freed up my grocery shopping time. I have committed to doing the S diet for the summer, to see how it goes. I'm not trying to lose weight, but I am interested in not being so obsessed with food...thinking about it, recording it, finding it...etc....so far I feel like a new woman! My every thought is not about food. I will keep checking back in, but so far I feel like a great weight/burden has been lifted off my shoulders. Surely, eating cannot be this easy?!

JayEll

Post by JayEll » Tue May 29, 2012 10:39 am

Welcome, runlibby! I am relatively new to No S also. My weight went down the first week, but then it went up the next. The good news is that it hasn't gone up beyond where I started, even though I'm not counting anything.

I'm sticking with No S for at least a month--and also, I realize that right after S-days is probably not the coolest time to weigh... LOL I'm going to cut that down to weighing once a month if I can.

Yes, it is very freeing to someone who can't envision having to keep a ledger sheet the rest of their life!

runlibby

Post by runlibby » Tue May 29, 2012 11:48 am

JayEll, do you exercise? And if so how much? I have always exercised 40 to 60 min. 5 to 6 times a week, so it will be interesting to see how that shakes out as I try this No S diet. So far it hasn't been a problem, but I wonder what other people, who have been on the diet longer, say. I understand Reinard does 14 minutes a day, but what about folks who are used to doing more?

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue May 29, 2012 12:51 pm

I exercise, on average, 2 1/2 - 3 hours each week - alternating between Zumba and "urban rangering."

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

JayEll

Post by JayEll » Tue May 29, 2012 2:05 pm

I am someone who used to exercise 5-6 times a week at the gym for an hour and a half each time. And then after a couple of years I started to have injuries. Arthritis flared up in my back, bursitis in my shoulders, and so on. So after a point I realized that constant daily exercise at the level I was doing it was not going to be sustainable--any more than counting forever was going to be sustainable.

I am now aiming for the gym a couple times a week. I'm also doing the shovelglove routine, but I need to work up to daily, and so far I should not use any weight over 4 lbs. (I use an actual garden shovel.) I do some walking every day, too. I expect that at some point, I may give up the gym membership, but I'm not ready to do that yet.

I'm hoping to add Tai Chi as well.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 30, 2012 10:27 pm

runlibby, 12 years is a long time! Okay, if you're honest, you have to know by now what a decent plate of food looks like. You still have to be honest with No S, whether you're measuring with your eye or a cup. and unless you were morbidly obese and are one of those people who really never feel full, I think you know when you are hungry and when you are full. No S doesn't work if people consistently aren't hungry for meals or overeat.

I think you're ready.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Angology

Post by Angology » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:29 am

I am with you on how freeing this can be. I was on WW before No S, but was starting to get obsessed with food. I hated journaling. I had lost about 20 lbs while on WW, but I have managed to lose 6 more pounds since then. It may not be as fast, but I am so much more relaxed about food.
I have kept up with my workouts because I want to keep losing. I have cut them back a little since I am not trying to earn points, but only slightly. I guess I am more relaxed about that too!

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:16 pm

I did ww and it really works. But it takes an iron will to stick to it. It makes you miserable and obsessed with food night and day. It really is a crappy way to live. I know it works for some, and more power to them, but I couldn't stick to it in the long run.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

ziggy

Re: WW lifetime member thinks this might be MAGIC

Post by ziggy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:44 am

runlibby wrote:I am a lifetime WW member, and not overweight. However, I have been counting points, on and off, for the last 12 years, and just finished the No S diet book, and am on day 3 of this "diet". I have not counted points at all, and I cannot believe how freeing this has been. I know that I was only spending maybe 15 or 20 minutes a day actually recording food and counting points, but it feels like I have added several extra hours to my day, to spend with my kids, doing much needed work, and spend with my husband. Today, I made a menu/grocery list for the week, and sent my husband to the store to do the shopping! I have not done this in years!! Now that I'm not searching for several different diet foods/snacks for the week, it has freed up my grocery shopping time. I have committed to doing the S diet for the summer, to see how it goes. I'm not trying to lose weight, but I am interested in not being so obsessed with food...thinking about it, recording it, finding it...etc....so far I feel like a new woman! My every thought is not about food. I will keep checking back in, but so far I feel like a great weight/burden has been lifted off my shoulders. Surely, eating cannot be this easy?!
I left wwers after a lifetime in and out of meetings. Saw Mad Men throw other night and Betty was going to seers (in the 60s when I started.) It was weird seeing and hearing the same things by members and leaders. If it really worked for most folks by now the would have no repeaters. But almost everyone in a meeting is a retreads.