No S and weight watchers

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

haley145

No S and weight watchers

Post by haley145 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:20 am

Does anyone on here combine No S with weight watchers or used to do weight watchers with No S? I am currently doing both and am trying to come up with a plan to drop WW and just do No S and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on this?

Rachelocity

Post by Rachelocity » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:31 am

I'm a WW veteran, on the 3rd day of No S, and the amount of brainpower I have left from not having to count those freakin' points is phenomenal! I thought I would combine the two plans at first, then I realized how much trouble I get into by tweaking and decided to give No S a fair shake.

I'm just gonna ignore the incessant counting in my head till it dies down, focus on enjoying real food, trusting that I will have "enough" in quality and quantity by having one nice plate at every meal, enjoying the awesome fruits and veggies of the summer, and living my life instead of dieting. No S could possibly be combined with Simply Filling if you used the food lists to help select the good stuff, but counting? Not so much IMHO.
Everything in moderation, including moderation: Julia Child

TUK

Post by TUK » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:21 am

I don't remember who has this in her signatue on the forum, but NoS counts plates, not calories. I bet you won't be able to do double accounting.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:09 am

Weight watchers probably taught you to make better food choices, and you will take that knowledge with you. I personally would throw out the rest because counting and tracking is not my thing.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:55 pm

I'm a strong believer in the effectiveness of combining NoS with other plans.
I do it myself, and I've seen it work for other people.
Also at the end of his book, Reinhard supports this practice.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

kccc

Re: No S and weight watchers

Post by kccc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:32 pm

haley145 wrote:Does anyone on here combine No S with weight watchers or used to do weight watchers with No S? I am currently doing both and am trying to come up with a plan to drop WW and just do No S and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on this?
If you're trying to segue from WW to No-S, one way would be to group your points into one-plate meals and cut out snacking. That would get you started on building habits, and cut down on the "counting" since it's easier to track 3 "eating events" than numerous random ones.

After you get comfortable with that, you can just stop counting points. Voila! You're just doing No-S.

Good luck.

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:02 pm

Before NOS I did just about every diet. I did Nutrisystem, WW, Atkins, Paleo, BB, Ornish, Protein Power, PHD, etc.

My success in these diets was temporary because I could not sustain them indefinitely, for reasons well explained by Reinhard on this site and in his book.

Like you, I carried over into NOS some of these diets' concepts. I felt "naked" without them. However, all it did was delay my proper execution of NOS.

You could incorporate the point system. But why remain a full time dietary accountant, as Reinhard says, when NOS already has its own "point" system - awareness of how much you are eating from the sight of your plate at each meal.
Last edited by Jethro on Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

heatherhikes

No S and weight watchers

Post by heatherhikes » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:46 pm

Good point TUK.
Funny you should mention that, but Oolala has the following phrase in her signature:

I don’t count calories
I count plates
three a day.

Oolala, I hope you don’t mind me relaying this info..over your head and all, and my plagiarizing… This thought is my morning mantra these days. :lol:

Rachelocity

Post by Rachelocity » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:26 pm

You could incorporate the point system. But why remain a full time dietary accountant, as Reinhard says, when NOS already has its own "point" system - awareness of how much you are eating from the sight of your plate at each meal.
^^^ That. All it does is double the amount of tracking, logging, etc. that you have to do, and I personally have battle fatigue. I've been spending so much time on the quantitative aspect of logging that I've lost sight of the qualitative side - Did I feel full for a decent amount of time afterwards? Did the food support my health? And most importantly, was it truly delicious or was I eating it because it was a Fakey McFakerson substitute for something I really wanted? (Fat-free cheese, I am looking at you!)
Everything in moderation, including moderation: Julia Child

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:42 pm

Are you saying you want to use WW total points allowed per day on No S? Or the tracking or what? It really is your choice if you want to count. Reinhard doesn't say you can't. He just says it's not necessary and it trips a lot of people up. But, if you look at the check-in threads, you'll see that many people do go ahead and record what they ate for the day at meals, though they don't put quantities or calorie amounts. But there is nothing to stop you from doing that. The hope, though, is that you just get more in tune with what a satisfying meal is just from looking at it and enjoying it.

If you don't want to drop WW outright, I'd aim for the highest calorie amount allowed and divide it between your three meals and perhaps a mocha between meals. Really look at your plates before you start eating and as you go. Get good at the visual elements of what constitutes a meal. When you start noticing that you are too full and not getting hungry for your next meal, experiment with smaller portions of dense foods. You can always add more veggies if you don't want space on the plate.

When I'm not failing on No S, my meals are quite similar anyway. I've learned over the years what makes me feel best most days. (Ironically, what makes me feel best over the day isn't always what I end up eating. But it doesn't change the general trend.) That includes some supposedly fattening foods, but I find a fist-sized portion is often enough.

Keep up with us!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Oh, BTW, I'm never offended by someone using something I've said, if it helped.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

heatherhikes

NoS and weight watchers

Post by heatherhikes » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks oolala!

Your phrase is simple yet profound:

---> I don't count calories ---> I count plates ---> Three of them <---

has a rhythmic quality to it and seems to (at least in MY brain) cut through some of those destructive mental furrows established by years of disordered eating.

If it's not in the NoS Catch Phrase Glossary (I haven't found it), maybe it should be.

Have a good weekend all

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:34 am

Hi and welcome! :)

I am currently attending weight loss classes (not WW however but along the same line) and have been No S-ing for several years as well. I originally gave up the diet classes in favor of No S and I initially did well but after a while, I wasn't getting very far with actual weight loss. BUT the peace of mind it brought me was second to none. What prompted me to rejoin a diet class was an impending vacation with a few very slim and attractive friends whom I haven't seen for a few years and feeling self consious of my weight gain since then. Also, more importantly, i want to feel better when I go on a night out etc. with my friends. This time - fingers crossed - with this goal in mind, I seem to be losing quite well this past few weeks since rejoining. I still get antsy and uncomfortable at the fact I had to rely on the club for the extra willpower/push in the first place and as I keep saying, I don't intend to stick with it forever (too intrusive and time consuming with all the travelling and preparation to get there, for one!) However, this time I have been enjoying it more than usual and more importantly, The No S Plan fits in very well with their general guidelines anyway. So... to answer your question - being in the 'right' frame of mind definitely has helped and the diet club has given me some pointers in the right direction i.e. I have picked up a few very helpful hints to assist me on my No S Journey that I hadn't thought of before. e.g. checking the sodium and fat contents of foods and trying to drink more plain water. I didn't drink much water if any at all a few weeks ago and I never thought to check the sodium levels of foods. (I eat a lot of frozen dinners and the sodium levels tend to be very, very generous! ")
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs