Need a garden rule or mod?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Paula Wylma

Need a garden rule or mod?

Post by Paula Wylma » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:56 am

If you look at my calendar this month on the July challenge ( I meant this to be part of that thread, not a new one), you will see that I marked today as a failure but I am not unhappy or bummed out about it. In fact, I think it's funny. You see, after breakfast I decided to go ahead and water my garden despite the forecast for scattered showers because it's supposed to be in the 90s and the showers might not scatter over my garden. So while I was watering I noticed that one of my sad, pathetic little strawberry plants actually had a couple of strawberries on it and one of the strawberries was actually ripe and ready to be picked. So I picked it and ate it--and then I realized that I had technically eaten a snack. I almost counted it as part of a virtual plate--I mean one tiny strawberry the size of a nickel, not a biggie. But I decided to be honest with myself and you guys and call it a failure. And no, I am not going to say WTH-- I mean it was only a strawberry so it will have no real effect on my habits or my weight. It is still an n day and I am moving on and treating the remainder of the day the way I would treat any n day.

For the future I might need a garden/taste testing mod though. :-)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:50 pm

A garden fresh cherry tomato is something I'd gladly take a red for.

noni

Post by noni » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:49 pm

And that you were aware of it is No S'er behavior. In the past, I would pop all kinds of goodies from the garden in my mouth without a thought of it.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:29 pm

I just can't believe that eating one strawberry from the garden is a crime. I think that eating mindfully is important, as is savoring life's little pleasures.

If you were growing gigantic cheesecakes in your garden, it might be a larger issue.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:47 pm

I admit I have a really strict interpretation of eating between meals. I am also just as casual about compliance. I don't think it's possible or even desirable to never, ever, EVER nibble between meals. So, I'm ok saying "Eating a fresh picked cherry tomato is eating between meals but it's worth being non-compliant.

If keeping a habitcal green is important then yes, I would do a garden mod. All fresh picked produce eaten in the garden does not merit a red.

Rachelocity

Post by Rachelocity » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:41 pm

If I'm hospitalized and have to stay NPO because I don't know when I'll be taken to surgery, that's one thing. But a couple of berries here and there? Meh. Self-flagellation is not on my approved list of exercises, so I won't get stressed. Unless it resembles the berry-picking of my youth, in which we ate till we were stuffed like Strasbourg gooses and came home after several hours with three berries rattling around in our pails. :lol: :lol:
Everything in moderation, including moderation: Julia Child

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:32 pm

I agree with Who Me?, Blithe Morning, and Rachelocity. If I used Habit Cal, I wouldn't take a red for a berry or a cherry tomato -- or a taste of anything. I think there's a huge difference between a nibble or taste of something and a snack or serving of the same thing(s).
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:31 am

I allow myself fresh fruit or veg any time without considering it a fail. To paraphrase Reinhard, nobody ever got fat from eating too many strawberries.! If I had a single bite of a biscuit, or cake or crisps etc I would consider it a fail. But not fruit or veg.
When nothing goes right...go left.