Your best advice

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~reneew

Your best advice

Post by ~reneew » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:00 pm

I read some great advice lately that really started me thinking...
Give your best advice!
:D

This is my current favorite...

Giving it 100% is way easier than 97% because that little "just this once" monster sneaks in there and creats a battle every time no matter if he wins that round or not!
Last edited by ~reneew on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:31 am

The way I heard that one is "99% is a b&*ch and 100% is a breeze." But this may be too much like the No S phrases thread.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:33 pm

JUST DO IT!!!

No excuses. No more thinking about it. Not tomorrow. It's simple. Just Do It.....and do it NOW!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Always remember that it's not what you do now and then that will matter significantly (the lapses in judgment resulting in eating slips = red days), it's what you do consistently day in and day out that will matter most in the long run (creating NoS habits = green days/sensible S days = weight loss).
Work towards creating good, strong habits, and if and when a slip occurs, pick yourself right back up, dust off, and continue on...leave out all the self berating! You don't deserve it because perfection is only an illusion...everyone slips up now and then.
As Zippadee said, Just do it! And keep on doin' it!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:00 pm

It doesn't matter if you fall flat on your face. What matters is what you do next.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Ruff

Post by Ruff » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:36 pm

I agree with eschano.

I used to be painfully skinny.

The big difference between now and then....

THEN if I overate I would go "gosh, I feel uncomfortable, guess I don't need much supper!"

NOW I go "gosh, I overate. Well, I have blown it anyway, might as well eat chocolate ice cream!"

SO....the advice....let it go, and move along.

Oh, and being hungry is not a disaster, it should be called 'relishing your supper/lunch/whatever'! As in "I am so ready for my lunch!" rather than "Oh I'm hungry and it is still half an hour to lunch. I shall just have a 'little something' (Like winnie the pooh)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:19 am

"Son I brought you into this world and I can take you out..." My father.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:19 am

eschano wrote:It doesn't matter if you fall flat on your face. What matters is what you do next.
I'd probably have to do another rhinoplasty.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:06 am

Being hungry is NOT an emergency red-alert situation. There are people who would like you to think it is. Many of them are somehow involved in selling food. I wonder why people who sell food might want you to think being hungry is an emergency that needs to be taken care of RIGHT NOW, hmmmm?

Don't try to fix everything you don't like about yourself at once. You've got a limited supply of willpower. If you spread it too thin trying to fix too many things, you're likely to end up accomplishing none of them. This is why New Year's resolutions almost never work.

Get the basics of No S down first. Don't worry about any other problems with your diet or lifestyle until you've done that. Don't worry about anything you're doing on S days until you've got the basics of N days down.

Don't try to add any mods until you've got the basics of No S down, unless you really are finding the basics too difficult and need to add mods to reduce the difficulty. Even if it seems too easy, don't try to make it harder.

Habits take time to form. There is no known way to expedite or rush this process.

Don't add any mods until you've been on No S for a bare minimum of one month. It takes at least that long to establish a habit. When you do start adding mods, never try to add more than three at a time, and don't add new ones more often than once a month.

There are three kinds of people on No S. Those who have had red days, newbies who haven't had their first red day yet, and liars. All of these types are going to have red days in the future.

The world will not stop spinning when you have your first red day. You will not be ostracized from the boards.

Don't compare your performance to some Platonic ideal of perfection. Compare how you're eating now to how you were eating before you were doing No S. You know you can accomplish what you're doing now, and you know you could accomplish what you were doing before No S. You probably can't accomplish your idea of perfection. Most likely, no one could.

Don't eat while you're driving. It distracts you from driving and, let's face it, the food you're eating behind the wheel probably isn't the healthiest.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:33 am

Over43 wrote: I'd probably have to do another rhinoplasty.
:lol: Brilliant! Me too.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Rachelocity

Post by Rachelocity » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:14 pm

For me, it's focusing on excellence, not perfection. As one of those all-or-nothing-thought-process peeps, excellence as a goal is right in line with moderation.

I also like the quote, "It's not what you've done, it's what you do next". eschano said it here, but I originally heard it on one of my fave TV shows, Angel: The Series (yes, Buffy's ex, the non-sparkly vampire with a soul!) Maybe it's not the source most people go to for motivating quotes, but this one sticks with me after all those years.
Everything in moderation, including moderation: Julia Child

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:39 pm

(My quote icon doesn't work.) "Don't try to add any mods until you've got the basics of No S down, unless you really are finding the basics too difficult and need to add mods to reduce the difficulty. Even if it seems too easy, don't try to make it harder."

I second this. There is always the option to be harder later.[/quote]
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:28 pm

Just read this and loved it. It's so No-S:
"Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from acquiring the deadening effect of a habit."
W. Somerset Maugham

(It's unchecked. No idea if the quote is correct)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:21 pm

eschano wrote:"Excess on occasion is exhilarating.
It prevents moderation from acquiring the deadening effect of a habit."
:shock: Actually, when applied to No S,
the quote could be interpeted as saying that:

Excess on occasion ="S" days
Moderation = "N" days
Excess on "S" days, can keep modernation on "N" days
from becoming a Habit.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:33 pm

It can mean that.

However, I'd like to think of it as saying that it staves off the "deadening effect of a habit", so N days can be a life-enhancing habit. :D

I know that may be tweaking it but as I don't believe that all habits are deadening but that some aspects of some habits can be deadening it works for me.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016