no sweets

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

donnao

no sweets

Post by donnao » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:38 pm

it has been suggested to me that working on getting my sugar consumption in line would help me with the rest of my excesses- i simply cannot manage to stop snacking.. especially at night . I eat well during the day, so it is not an issue of being underfed

i have been focusing mostly on trying to stop snacking, and i just cant seem
to stop !

.. i fear that if i quit focusing on stopping night eating, then i am going to gain a ton of weight !

i would love to get feed back from the group

thanks !

Donna O

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:15 am

Instead of thinking, I can't stop eating at night, think "I haven't stopped at eating at night yet." That's the truth. You just haven't put together motivation and action. Of course you can stop! And you will.

I night-ate for decades before No S. And not just a handful of chips. I don't say I never fail, but it's just not the issue it used to be.

It is just a habit. Part of it is the war in your mind. You give yourself an option. (The sugar is telling you that.) Tell yourself there is no option. (Beck says tell yourself NO CHOICE) Be sure you eat a substantial dinner and then keep telling yourself,"I fed myself. I'm not starving. Eating more is going to do more harm than good. I'm a grown up and I can go a few hours before bed without food. This may be a little hard, but it's worth it. I'll be sorry if I don't break this habit." Etc.

Go mark a green day on the Habitcal as soon as you finish dinner. And brush and floss your teeth.

Have some tea, decaf, or mocha, and make it a special event. Also, for a few nights, think of something specific to do after dinner that takes you away from the kitchen/food and keeps you busy.

It's doable! Repeat for a few years. Not eating can become your new default.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ironchef

Re: no sweets

Post by ironchef » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:53 am

donnao wrote:it has been suggested to me that working on getting my sugar consumption in line would help me with the rest of my excesses- i simply cannot manage to stop snacking.. especially at night .
I'm awake a lot at night, as I have an 11 week old. When I started No S three weeks ago I thought the night time snacking "because I deserve it" after getting up to do a feed would be really hard to stop. It actually hasn't been, for the wise reason oolala53 gives - I have that strictness that says it is NOT an option. I will not eat at night wake ups. No decision to be made.

My 2 cents (which perhaps aren't worth much after only 3 weeks doing this) are not to get hung up on the whys and wherefores of night snacking - everyone could come up with a why if they want (because I eat too much sugar...I'm up with a small baby...I have insomnia...I'm stressed...my partner snacks). Also, I wouldn't make stopping snacking dependent on stopping the sugar or vice versa; there is no rule that says one S has to precede another.

By the way, if I am hungry at night (to the point where it is hard to fall back to sleep) I have a glass of milk.

Good luck tonight - hope it is a green one!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:19 am

You can stop snacking, even at night. You just haven't done it yet. Make it difficult to snack at night. Change your routine. You're more likely to gain a ton of weight by snacking in the evening, not by stopping it.

There is no good reason to continue snacking in the evening. So stop it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

heatherhikes

no sweets

Post by heatherhikes » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:13 am

oolala53 wrote:...Go mark a green day on the Habitcal as soon as you finish dinner. And brush and floss your teeth.

Have some tea, decaf, or mocha, and make it a special event. Also, for a few nights, think of something specific to do after dinner that takes you away from the kitchen/food and keeps you busy...
In a similar vein, I floss, brush my teeth and rinse with a refreshing mouth wash 30 minutes after dinner. This gives me a sense of completion.
As an alternative and sometimes later in the evening, I drink with my husband some special tee with a little honey (e.g., we like a good quality rooibos tea with natural cinnamon flavor) while watching one of our favorite TV-shows on DVD. This is a special little treat for us and causes me to forget about food...or I move with my tea and NoS book to a favorite corner/room, a "food-free zone" as I call them...

This eve-snacking habit can be licked. Be gentle and patient with yourself. Many of us have overcome this already; you can do the same, if you don't give up. :P

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:53 am

I used to have a habit where most days of the week, always on weekends, I would have a midnight lunch in which I gobbled up chips, oreo cookies, ice cream, saltines and cheese all washed down with 3-4 brewskies.

Just thinking about it now makes my mouth water.

it was very enjoyable and something to look forward to. However, because of it I gained 80 lb., so I knew it had to go.

Eventually I was able to stop it, went into various diets with yoyoing results until I found NOS that so far has helped me lose and keep off 47 lb. in a year and 9 months.

Bottom line: many of us have had the same night eating issue and we were able to overcome it. So can you.

If we can do it, you can! :)
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental