Pre-planned Snacks ?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

freegirl

Pre-planned Snacks ?

Post by freegirl » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:17 am

Is anyone using a mod with pre-planned snacks?

I don't like feeling stuffed, so I would rather eat smaller meals and have 2 snacks. Like a hanfull of nuts in the mid morning, and a carb snack between lunch and dinner (triggers insulin and helps serotonin production, makes you happier and reduces cravings for sweets).

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:26 am

Absolutely not for me! I am a Vanilla No S person.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:57 am

My problem in the past with diet plans that have "healthy snacks" is that I start out with great intentions (only fruit and veggies! Handful of healthy nuts! Wholegrains!), but somehow, as time goes on my snacks end up being whatever is at hand. Having to be disciplined and choose healthy food five or six times a day, rather than three, uses up more of my will power than I have available.

For now, I'm finding that a bit of hunger between meals is manageable (with the odd glass of milk when needed), and I enjoy my meals a lot more being really hungry for them.

I think I've seen the suggestion on the message board to make other planned eating sessions into mini-meals, rather than snacks, to avoid the idea that it is open season for snacking. Perhaps this could work for you?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:12 am

The only time I feel stuffed after meals is on Thanksgiving and maybe Christmas. I don't overfill my plates in order to not feel hungry and I very rarely feel hungry between meals.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

TUK

Post by TUK » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:58 pm

Vanilla NoS here too. With an extra discipline exercice of eating much fruits and veggies.

Planning snacks is a mod I am considering for S-days (which tend to go overboard too often) But not for N-days. I seldom feel that I am full after my meals.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:47 pm

No pre-planned snacks here either. Planning three meals a day is enough for me. I'd rather not have to plan snacks.

freegirl

Post by freegirl » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:35 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies.

In December 2011 I was on vanilla No S for 21 days. And before that I was also struggling with the 'no snacks' rule. Maybe I just have to sort it out in my head. I'll let you know how it goes.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:14 am

It depends for me on what I'm "stuffed" from. I feel rather full from my regular meals but I eat a lot of volume in freggies. That feeling doesn't stay long. When I eat out and have fewer light foods, I have to eat a lot less volume to keep from feeling too full for quite awhile. But in neither case do I plan anything but liquid "snacks."

I suggest adding about half of what you would have for a snack to your lunch and tolerating the feeling for a few days. See how well it holds you over to dinner. You may find after a time that you need even less food. And take advantage of beverages, if need be.

Or add a little more fat to your meals. I find if I forget to add my tablespoon or equivalent of fat to a meal, I really feel hungry later. But fat is so condensed, it satisfies without that bloated feeling, at least in my experience with small additions.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

mastermesh

Post by mastermesh » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:26 pm

maybe try it again and keep a diet log... write down everything... if you feel 'stuffed' study the log to determine why... was there not enough protein before that feeling occurred? Was there too many carbs? Could it possibly be a minor allergic reaction that you are not even aware of?

I love honey, sunflower seeds, cantaloupe and banana, but they make me feel 'stuffed'. After reading http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=19&cont=267 it makes me wonder if that feeling isn't something to do with allergies since I am allergic to ragweed?...
Who Gets Ragweed Allergy?

Of Americans who are allergic to pollen-producing plants, 75 percent are allergic to ragweed. People with allergies to one type of pollen tend to develop allergies to other pollens as well.

People with ragweed allergy may also get symptoms when they eat cantaloupe and banana. Chamomile tea, sunflower seeds and honey containing pollen from Compositae family members occasionally cause severe reactions, including shock.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:47 am

I've been working on eating a planned snack at night. I have two young boys (ages 4 and 1), and I"m finding it's impossible for me to sit down and eat an actual dinner with them, because things are just too crazy (my older son has special needs, etc...). I've decided to, instead, eat a smaller meal while the boys are eating, and I'll eat a snack after the boys go to bed. Tonight was my first night of trying this, and it worked pretty well.