New to this and nervous

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Goodcooker

New to this and nervous

Post by Goodcooker » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi all. Newbie here but I am not a newbie to diets. Four years ago I quit smoking and gained 20 pounds. I was 10 pounds too heavy to begin with. Went to Weight Watchers. Well...that was a bust. I love to cook and love sugar. Love salt and snacks. I always had seconds when I ate a meal. Hey! I am a good cook. :D But I still needed to lose 30 pounds. Picked up the Atkins book. Ate less than 50 grams of carbs per day, gave up sugar, gave up starches so I could lose 10 pounds in a YEAR!?? I mean come on! Why only 10 pounds? I'll tell you why. It's because I would finally break down and eat a friggin apple, or have an orange, and yes have a piece of cake or pie once in a while. Geez I didn't binge though. However, even though I was eating low carb I was eating ALOT of food and snacking on nuts and cheese all day. I had a 70 year old woman tell me about this book. How she lost 14 pounds following it. Hey...I love to read so I picked it up. I am 3 days into eating this way but I am SO nervous. I actually ate a slice of bread with my scambled eggs today. Yesterday I had a bowl of oatmeal. I almost cried with relief! I make sure if I have a slice of bread it is on the plate. I had sweet potato the other night for the first time in a year! I can eat buttercup squash again? I still need to lose 20 pounds but I am not in any hurry. All I have is time. I want this to work SO bad. You mean I can bake an apple crisp this weekend? I am not snacking at all between meals. I do notice my stomach growling like crazy when I go to bed. Never did this before. I don't really feel hungry though. I will be posting many questions and asking for advice I am sure.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 pm

good luck mainemom! i'm sure you will love NoS! :D
deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:50 pm

Welcome! NoS is sane. Grains are supposed to be the main part of our diet... so say the "real" experts. I believe you will do great on this. S days give the pressure release, but don't go hog wild like I do, that just prolongs it. Get the habit of N days. :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:44 pm

Welcome, this is a sane - healthy - normal way to eat. People have survived on three meals a day (and much less) for eons. Many would fall to the ground in gratitude if they had three meals a day. We are blessed to get to choose this as an option.

Enjoy your meals, exercise a bit, drink a lot of water, try to get enough sleep - it's all good ! Barring a medical condition, embrace that stomach growling or even hunger pangs. It just proves that your body is using up the meals you are providing, rather than storing them around your middle.

You will be amazed at how many times you might reach for a snack out of habit (well let me say I am amazed). You should save money as well (I know I do). Have fun and enjoy the boards!

There is a Daily Check In thread where many of us journal (you don't have to actually check in every day, just if and when you want to chat or update).

To your health,
Berry

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Welcome to NoS! Moderation is so much better than rigid restrictions :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:03 am

No S is I think a better baseline to examine what foods we really enjoy and need. You may find you get the results you want eating a lot of carbs, or find after a time that you actually like the effect with less, but it will be while enjoying full meals and COMPARATIVELY little dickering over this and that. Eat a plate of food when it's time, enjoy the heck out of it, and plan a few of them a day for at least six months. Then assess. No one will stop you then from jettisoning sweet potatoes or eating them for breakfast every day.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)