What do you guys typically eat for your regular 3 meals?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Schnebit

What do you guys typically eat for your regular 3 meals?

Post by Schnebit » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:32 pm

Hi all,

Do you guys typically restrict the types of foods you eat and choose "healthier" foods or do you pretty much eat whatever you want (within the boundaries of No S)?

For example, for lunch would you guys choose the Turkey sandwich with pretzels or say, two slices of pizza (or somewhere in between)?

I'm just curious about what most people eat for their 3 "No S" daily meals, and what has/has not worked.

As an aside, I had french fries w/my sandwich for lunch today... it all fit on one plate, but I felt guilty for eating them.

Thanks!

Jim

scottwblack

Re: What do you guys typically eat for your regular 3 meals?

Post by scottwblack » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:54 pm

I admit to feeling guilty about some of the things I've eaten since starting No-S, but then I remember:
...the No S Diet isn't about what you eat. It's about when you eat. You can eat anything you want -- at the right time.
Of course, that doesn't mean that I'm necessarily going to have pizza every day for lunch. :-)

ceu

Post by ceu » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:25 pm

Trying to teach myself to eat less fried foods but I admit not all my meals would pass by a nutritionist without a raised eyebrow.

I find eating healthier -- whole grains, fibreful food -- tends to keep me fuller longer than a plate of empty calories. Having said that, I am eating french fries occasionally and so on.

silverstorm

Post by silverstorm » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:27 pm

Hi! I'm only on Day 2 of No-S but I thought I'd insert my two cents here. Skinny does not always equal healthy. You can be thin as a rail and eat a lot of foods with cholesterol and saturated fat and end up with clogged arteries. Therefore, I think it's important to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans and nuts, lean proteins, reduced fat dairy or dairy alternatives such as soymilk in order to have a varied and balanced healthy diet. I do eat mostly off the list I just wrote, but I also have a sweet tooth, so other things "sneak in" and no one can have a virtuous diet all the time ;) I do think it's important to eat healthfully and I feel that the general health of our country is atrocious. That said, if you are extremely overweight and need to drop a significant amount, then take baby steps. If you need to stick to old favorite foods that may be not particularly healthy, but are following the No-S guidelines, then that's great. But once you are at a certain point, it is important to remember to eat a healthful and balanced diet for your HEALTH more so than your body image.

Schnebit

Post by Schnebit » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:39 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'm coming at it from this perspective - my diet is generally VERY healthy and consists mostly of whole grains, fruits, veggies and lean protein.

Today was the first time that I've had French fries in at least six months. That being said, the reason that I'm interested in this diet is that I've probably got an extra 10lbs or so around the middle that I want to lose.

So, the plan wouldn't be to have French fries on a daily basis. However, most diets don't even allow for the occasional poor choice (i.e. Friday is pizza night in my house, and I haven't indulged in that for months either).

I was wondering if others have been a little more lenient with this diet and still experienced favorable results.

Thanks!

Jim

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:50 pm

Schnebit wrote:I've probably got an extra 10lbs or so around the middle that I want to lose.
I dream of the day that I can say that. :-)

david

Post by david » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:08 pm

Hi all,

One of the cool things about No-S is the normalcy of it. If one night a week is pizza night, then get a normal sized plate and slap a couple of slices on it! Now, there is also the issue of personal responsibility--maybe you eat the veggie pizza or the chicken pizza instead of the sausage. Maybe one night you order the pizza and go light on the cheese or without cheese altogether. No-S doesn't work too well if you eschew entire categories of food you like (been there, done that, got the grease-stained t-shirt).

thanks,
David

Kevin

What do I eat...

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:11 am

Whatever I want. Really. I avoid hydrogenated oil (trans fats) at all costs, and I do try to eat *reasonably*, but I don't go out of my way to avoid anything.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Schnebit

Post by Schnebit » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:32 pm

Hi Kevin,

Have you been experiencing positive results with this approach?

Thanks!

Jim

hlidskjalf

Post by hlidskjalf » Mon May 08, 2006 5:49 am

A bit late (my form style I suppose) but I've been using a Boy Scouts nostalgia approach to No-S. For breakfast I have cheese toast or something tasty. Then for lunch I have a bag of trail mix I whip up from:

- premade nut and seed heavy but low salt trail mix (160 cal per 1/4 cup)
- Mix contains raisins but I add more (160 cal per 1/4 cup)
- Uncle Sams cereal. I liked the old "A Natural Laxative" slogan. (190 cal per 3/4 cup)

I just mix it all up and take 500-600 calories worth in a sack to work.

Oh then a sensible dinner.
Burn all, burn everything. Fire is bright and fire is clean.

harpista

Post by harpista » Tue May 09, 2006 11:12 pm

scottwblack wrote:
Schnebit wrote:I've probably got an extra 10lbs or so around the middle that I want to lose.
I dream of the day that I can say that. :-)
You and me both :lol:

I suspect it's not just the two either!

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Wed May 10, 2006 3:18 pm

I generally eat pretty much what I feel like; the only difference 'twixt now and before I started this diet (which is now at the point where I've completely forgotten I'm doing it) is that I now eat at mealtimes rather than whenever I want to.

This has rendered results. As I eat fairly well anyway (I'm not a huge fan of junk food or sweets), I'm now just taking steps to increase my exercise levels.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

cab54

Post by cab54 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:46 pm

Breakfast for me is usually just buttered toast with my coffee, or in cold weather maybe some hot cereal (what I like about this diet is I can have coco wheats and that's OK!!) If I feel especially hungry, I add an egg, or a piece or two of my hubby's bacon or sausage. But I'm not a big b-fast eater. I have to force myself, just about. :?

Lunch (I am not a sandwich person) is often leftovers of whatever we had the night before, or a McD's or Wendy's Asian/ Mandarin chicken salad (my new obsession), or fruit and some peanut butter. I am usually into warm savory dishes, unless it's really hot weather.

Supper is usually some grilled or roasted meat, a potato/rice/pasta side dish, and a vegetable or salad. Just regular food. In hot weather, hubby and i are fond of a chicken caesar salad for dinner, or a pecan/dried cherries/bleu cheese over greens salad w/ honey lemon drsg. But our suppers are usually regular suppers. Meat/starch/veg.

When I DO have a sweet or something (on an S day, of course) I have a little square of dark chocolate and really savor it---melt it in the mouth. Cures the chocolate problem, and a lot less food than a heavy dessert. :D
Cheryl

Starting weight--200 (gah!)
Currently--185
Goal weight--135, or wherever I end up

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:54 am

Here's a typical N day for me:

1. Breakfast:

a) skillet toasted mestamacher black bread with cheese, nuts, and some leftover dinner vegetables. A piece of fresh fruit. Black coffee.

or

b) a bowl of cold cereal with fresh fruit. Black coffee.

2. Lunch: oatmeal with nuts, dried fruit, seeds. Sounds monotonous but vary the nuts, fruits and seeds and you can get sufficient variety. It's cheap (oats are horse food, after all), nutritious, quick (just pour hot water from the spigot), and convenient (no nasty office fridge required). Calorie for calorie, nothing will keep you feeling full longer. It's like pouring cement into your stomach.

3. Dinner (this is the most variable meal, I'll put what I had tonight): pasta mixed with skillet roasted cauliflower and chicken sausage pressed out of casings, tomato sauce. Green salad with regular full fat dressing. Glass of wine.

I have a second cup of black coffee in the morning at work, and a green tea in the afternoon.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:42 pm

Reinhard!
I have to congratulate you on your very healthy eating!!!
Another reason you feel satisfied is that you seem to include mainly *whole* foods in your meals, and at every meal...
Fruits and veggies are nutritious and full of bulk.. And they add variety to our lives!
That is filling too!
Different tastes and textures and colors....
It's not just about carbs/proteins etc...

Being satisfied also includes lots of other factors...

Have a great day!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ps... I gotta try the black bread some time! :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:27 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:Reinhard! I have to congratulate you on your very healthy eating!!!
Gosh, if I could force myself to eat like that I would have no problem losing significant amounts of weight. :-)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:49 pm

I guess it's mostly healthy, but it's also pretty caloric and tastes good. Everything I eat is full fat. There's no weird taste compromised low calorie health food. I make no effort to avoid whole milk, butter, cream, cheese, chicken skin, fatty meat, and am generous with the olive oil when I cook (just about everything) in my cast iron skillet.

What I do is try to positively include foods that I like and know are good: fruit, vegetables, brown rice, oatmeal, whole grain bread and cereal. This crowds out less healthy stuff without me even noticing it. It's mostly peasant food, not some new fangled new agey stuff. For quick, routine weekday breakfasts and lunches I stick pretty close to my healthy defaults. For dinner and on weekends taste is paramount, but for me there's enough overlap between tastes good and nutrition that this is big picture fine.

What to do if you don't like much/any healthy food? Decide you do. You can modify your tastes. Not that they're particularly healthy, but just as an personal example that this can be done, I used to dislike olives but I liked the idea of olives. I started eating them and now I honestly love them. Don't torture yourself, start with what's least unappealing.

operababe

Post by operababe » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:39 pm

As a relative newcomer to No S, my priority for the first month was to eat 3 meals (a meal = 1 plate of food) per day. This meant that I didn't get myself back into the old diet mentality of counting calories, fat grams, WW points, etc. And it also meant that whatever I ate at those 3 meals was OK. I simply wanted to develop a new habit.... 3 meals per day, nothing more. Now that I'm beginning my 2nd month with No S, I find myself choosing more fruits and vegetables with my meals, and I am enjoying myself. Even on weekends (the "S" days), I do not snack, I rarely, if ever, have seconds, and I allow myself 2 desserts for the whole weekend. Although last weekend I only ate one dessert, so even my habit for wanting desserts is not as strong.

If you're new to No S, my advice is to just get into the habit of 3 meals. For many of us who are overweight, we got here because we had fallen away from the 3 meals/day. For now, keep it simple: 3 meals/day. If that means there are french fries on your plate, so be it. Be proud that you are developing a new habit, and that this will be the key to your success. Eventually you will be eating a healthier diet, and it will be what works for you.
It's time to make it beautiful.