Headache Issues

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ruamgirl

Headache Issues

Post by Ruamgirl » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:46 pm

I usually work at 4 pm on Mondays after being in class until nearly then. I eat lunch at 1:30 because that's the only time I have a break between classes. Then I go to work and work until close (1 am). We don't get breaks at work either. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent the hunger headaches I get from not eating for that long? It wouldn't be a big deal, but most of the headaches I get are migraines, and they are incredibly painful.

emmay

Post by emmay » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:24 pm

You work nine hours without a break?! Surely there are laws against that! If you can't possible have a solid meal at dinner time, maybe you could have a liquid meal replacement on work days. Or maybe you could fit in a half dinner just before your shift then half when you finish.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:52 pm

This isn't an answer to your question, but more questions: What do you eat for breakfast and lunch on those long days? What are your actual work hours? What kind of work do you do?
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:35 am

Headache or no headache, that's a long time to go without eating and is not what No S is about.

Though certainly not ideal, I agree that you might take a meal replacement shake or powder with you. There must be an opportunity to drink something. Try to have it in stages and "chew" the liquid. I would consider that preferable to gulping bites of food.

And it does sound fishy that you don't get any break. Unless you're the one making the choice for financial reasons.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

JustForToday

Post by JustForToday » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:04 am

Sounds like she works in a restaurant - the one industry where you really don't have a scheduled break. I remember as a server often working shifts that long without a chance to eat - I was lucky if I made it to the bathroom during certain busy shifts.

I say stock a Slim Fast or bottled protein drink somewhere handy. It's not exactly a dinner, but it might stave off a headache and you can grab sips when you can to keep your blood sugar up.

Ruamgirl

Post by Ruamgirl » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:28 am

JustForToday, you got it. I work in a restaurant. The only time people get breaks there is if they work doubles. Thank you all for the suggestions of meal replacement shakes. Would that count as dinner? Also, can anyone recommend some that aren't expensive? Is Slim Fast good?

Wosnes, I don't always have time for breakfast, but my lunches are solid. I usually eat on campus. Yesterday, I had a bowl of pasta with chicken and broccoli. A few days ago, I had chicken and shrimp over rice and veggies.

Thank you for the feedback, everyone.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:48 am

It's been 35 years since I worked in a restaurant but we got a 30- minute meal break in an 8-hour shift. And I worked late, too. It does work a number on your life.

Can you get milk at work? Good quality protein powders on sale at a health food store in my city go for about a dollar, maybe a little more, a serving. That in milk is pretty cheap. Is it a meal? You'd need a pretty big serving.

No time to have breakfast, a solid lunch, a liquid dinner... Not enough food or eating enjoyment. Inviting failure. You need to have at least one other real meal. I don't know where you'll fit it in, but I think you'll keep having trouble with intermittent overeating until you do. Sorry, just being honest.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

macmilon555

No S Diet General Discussion

Post by macmilon555 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:04 am

Milk provides calcium to the body. This helps in maintaining the bones stronger. Warm milk in night gives peaceful and dreamless sleep which will keep the mind and body energized when waked up next day.
so milk is best thing in your diet .

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:44 pm

I get migraines too. Be sure you're staying hydrated. I've noticed that's a big contributer. I drink ice water with a bit of unsweetened cranbery juice. I think the constant tiny bit of calories keeps me going and I stay hydrated. I have a 4 cup water bottle and I try to drink 2 daily.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:10 pm

I wouldn't count a protein drink as a meal. I often have one instead of milk if I'm hungry and the next meal is long off.