Need ideas for handling this

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ginmarie

Need ideas for handling this

Post by ginmarie » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:12 pm

So I've finished 14 weeks of fitness routine and am still going strong and loving it more every day! I've started having a problem though. I'm working out hard for a full hour and by the time I shower, change and get back in the car I am STARVING! In fact twice I've gotten so hungry that by the time I got home and could fix breakfast I was very nauseated. I start too early to eat beforehand, and anyway I don't like working out on a full stomach. I did come up with one solution but now I'm not sure it is okay on No S.

I bought protein powder, non-flavored to cut down on the added sugar ( I hate, despise and loath sugar substitutes) and added 1/2 scoop to 8oz's of milk and took it with me to have as soon as I get back in the car. I tried this plain and while not horrible it's definitely not something I can see glugging down 3x a week, so added a couple of squirts of chocolate syrup to it. That worked great and of course tastes fine but now I'm wondering if the chocolate makes it a treat? Is chocolate in this context allowable? Should I just "suck it up" and drink the thing plain? Does anyone else have a less "treaty" way of making a protein drink palatable?
BTW - this is not a meal replacement or even a snack because I'm still having my bowl of oats and a banana for breakfast. So adding this in (without the chocolate syrup) makes it a beefed up glass of the milk I would normally have for breakfast.
05/14/11 - 165 lbs
05/01/12 - 142 lbs
No S Lifestyle For Keeps :)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:19 am

I don't see why it would be a problem-- especially if you're just drinking it right after your workout.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:49 am

Since a few sugar packets or a couple of teaspoons of sugar to coffee are allowed, I think this is ok.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:20 am

Or, you could just try some milk or juice.

I can't explain why (because I don't know why), but I'm against protein drinks.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:15 am

wosnes wrote:I can't explain why (because I don't know why), but I'm against protein drinks.
Me too. Depending what work out you are doing, they're often unnecessary. When I was marathon training, a lot of experienced runners told me to just have a glass of milk (or chocolate milk) after a long run. Does the same job, but much cheaper.

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:22 am

it is all about making no s work for you. Sounds like you have a good plan.

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:00 pm

Ginmarie,
I am so glad you enjoy your fitness activities! At this time I exercise in the later afternoon but have done sports for years in the morning. I can relate to your problem and suggest a Carob powder drink (Carob pwdr. and milk) for this situation. If you google the powder... it is natural, nutritious, has much iron, is naturally sweert, so no need for extra sweeteners (you could add a little).
In my opinion does it taste good, is filling and satisfying. As a health food it often replaces chocolate powder, but I wouldn't consider it a choc. replacement for this purpose, but a good fit for a NoS in-between-drink...and better than protein powder. Hope it works for you.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:44 pm

When I was working out with a trainer I just drank milk. I don't think what your doing is terrible, as long as it is consistent! All the cross country running coaches I know recommend chocolate milk for the kids after a long run because that bit of sugar helps keep them from getting light headed and jittery.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy