How common are major no S relapses?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Minkymoo

How common are major no S relapses?

Post by Minkymoo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:49 am

Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum but been no S ing by myself on and off for much of the last year (with more than a few fails & false starts as I wasn't really ready to commit to the plan). I'm now about 6lbs under what I started at a year ago which for me is a great result and I'm ready to give it a real go...
I'm just wondering, amongst the forum regulars who have been no S ing for several years and had some success - are major relapses common on this diet? Do people stay on the diet for a long time, loose say 3 stone, then fall off the wagon and put it all back on again? Or do moderate habits learned slowly stick better than that?
I ask as someonesho has lost the same 3 stone many times and am praying that my years of yoyo dieting may be at an end having found this sane eating plan that I can actually understand and work with.

Suz

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:49 pm

I'm not sure about this, but I think most of the people who have lost and then regained what they lost just give up and move on -- and chalk it up as yet another diet that doesn't work. It seems that at least some eventually come back because they realize that this is based on common sense and is sane and sensible.

I think once you really commit to this and realize that results probably aren't going to be rapid and that there very well may be ups and downs, they tend to stick with it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:23 am

Starting and stopping is common. Some move on, others like me keep coming back. I don't like the constrictions of other eating plans, and like the built in rewards of No S.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:08 am

It is hard to say if it is the norm (the stopping and restarting). I think there are also a lot of people like me: I adopted NoS four years ago and have never stopped. I *did* learn new habits, and the "old ways" have lost their appeal. Sure, I've had some "bad" days (according to how well I followed my NoS principles), but I never thought in my mind to stop.

With all the ups and downs of real life, sticking to NoS as best I could, I'm down 55+ pounds with no fear of regaining.... I keep visiting the boards, though, to keep NoS firmly fixed in my mind.....

HTH,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:25 pm

I've never consciously decided to stop No S. I've drifted to non-compliance but I never ditched it in favor of a different structured diet. After being on No S, I just couldn't handle the restrictions.

There are people who stop or leave. Some come back. Some don't.

I do try to observe certain guidelines which are different than rules: half my plate fruit or veg at lunch and dinner, daytime vegetarian, walk at least 30 minutes a day plus other workouts (cardio and weights) 4-5 a week.

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:38 pm

I am by far not a perfect no ser, but it is truly a habit that I wake up to daily. Usually if I have a bad day it is an after dinner treat, or an extended s weekend. I can't go long before I desire the structure of this habit. I don't see it as fails though if I go "off" or make a mistake and I think that keeps the diet mentality off. I have fallowed it basically for a few years. I have been pregnant most of that time, but it always keeps me from gaining to much pregnancy weight and It gets my body back always. I really love this way of eating.

Minkymoo

Post by Minkymoo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:28 pm

Thank you for all your replies, I appreciate your thoughts and experiences. I'm feeling ready to commit fully to No S this year, definately inspired by the way you all see it as a way of life rather than a quick fix.
Fingers crossed I can keep it going through the holiday season this year!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:12 am

Good idea! I tried No S in the fall of 2008, had brief early success, then fell off for all but a few weeks until Dec. 26 of 2009. Then I made a year commitment, and it has stuck. I had some real struggles but I just can't imagine living with more restriction than this. I've done it before and it was a lousy way to live, though I did get thinner. But I lived in fear of food. Now after three years, I do a little dance when I see a dessert table. But magically, I might not even have any! I can love the idea of food without feeling I have to eat it to enjoy it! And I do enjoy what I do eat.

BTW, 5 years is the gold standard, so I'm not there yet. But the French and Italians have a lot longer in on this...

Reinhard didn't put his stuff up online until he'd been at it 4 years, though he admits things were pretty good right off the bat.

So, give it this year.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

JustForToday

Post by JustForToday » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:50 am

Oolala, I like your one year advice....Ive decided to give this three solid months outside of whats left of December - a commitment that feels doable to me. We'll see what happens over the next three months.... if I see positive changes then I feel like I can commit to a year, Just today my sister was talking about her plan to start Weight Watchers after the holidays...and for the first time in my life I didn't chime in with a "me too!" I know that I know that I know I won't last two weeks on Weight Watchers... but I feel peaceful about three months of NoS. I almost wish I wasn't coming up on 4 S days all in a row (the weekend, Christmas Eve my birthday, and then Christmas)....but if I try to restrict on those days I 'll go batty. Looking forward to testing out three months and from there a year if I think I can do it.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:39 am

Three months is good, too. So many people think the struggle will be over if they get through 21 days. Unlikely.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:58 pm

JustForToday wrote: I almost wish I wasn't coming up on 4 S days all in a row (the weekend, Christmas Eve my birthday, and then Christmas)....but if I try to restrict on those days I 'll go batty. Looking forward to testing out three months and from there a year if I think I can do it.
JustForToday,

May I wish you an early Happy Birthday?! Christmas Eve is my birthday AND my son's. Plus we celebrate Christmas on the 25th, when the children are home from college AND Jan. 7th, when it is celebrated locally. So I can also relate to the "too many S-days" in a row feeling.

I find it very helpful to do the following:

1. Plan lighter meals on the NonS days--yummy, but less rich, heavy, etc.

2. Remember that a small serving is often just as (and sometimes more) satisfying than a large serving. After four years of NoS, I really can't eat the humongous meals of yore....

3. Don't worry about the scale. Try to keep to N day rules on N days. *Enjoy* your very legitimate S days, remembering that food is only one part (although important, IMO) in celebrating S days. Honestly, being able to enjoy holidays and birthdays GUILT-FREE is one of the best things about NoS. :D

Merry Christmas and best wishes for a joyous Holiday season.
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

JustForToday

Post by JustForToday » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm

vmsurbat, Happy birthday to you and your son also! Talk about racking up those S Days! And much thanks for the good advice. Even though I'll have this long chain of S days I plan on being persistent during the N days - and the key for me will be immediately taking up with an N day on Wednesday after all the holiday eating.

The nice thing about having a birthday right at Christmas is that everyone has to eat with *I* want to have! (Hello Red Velvet Peppermint IceCream Cake from Cold Stone Creamery!)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:18 pm

That sounds like the perfect Christmas cake anyway. :lol:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23