Successful Christmas!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Minkymoo

Successful Christmas!

Post by Minkymoo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:15 am

I'm going back to work today and I'm declaring my first no S Christmas a big success! Although I took Christmas eve, Christmas day and 2 extra S events this month I still feel like I've eaten FAR less than a usual December and most importantly I've been able to resist the temptation to binge on the masses of Chocolates and biscuits that fill the main desk at work for the whole of December. I've only had two mince pies! Unheard of for me! Im pretty sure I won't loose any weight this month and I may even gain a tiny bit (hope not though) overall it's been an incredibly enjoyable yet controlled festive season. Cheers Reinhard et al!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:22 am

Good job! :D

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:24 pm

That's great news! Congratulations :)
A little question for you: did you use "conscious effort" to restrain yourself, or did it just... happen?

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:51 pm

Imogen Morley wrote:A little question for you: did you use "conscious effort" to restrain yourself, or did it just... happen?
:P Doing something by Habit takes LESS conscious effort,
but that isn't the same thing as having it happen by Magic.
Even No S requires using your brain (i.e. "conscious effort").
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Minkymoo

Post by Minkymoo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:43 pm

I did use conscious effort, but it didn't feel particularly onerous, I think because I remember so vividly the feeling of not actually enjoying any of my food on Christmas day because I had eaten so many treats in the run up to it that I was sick of it all by then... but still eating it anyway. That was utter madness!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:20 pm

I, too, was conscious of my choices, but I was also conscious that it felt easy to do this year. Even my fails on other days felt less onerous and I think that has contributed to faster recovery. I felt so good about Xmas Eve and Day! But I agree with BrightAngel. I'm pretty sure even naturally thin people feel tempted to eat more but consciously decide not to, a lot because they just don't want to feel that full. I know I've reported before my slim nephew-in-law always takes more than he finishes. Even at age 50, he can't gauge that he won't want all the food he thinks he does. He took a big piece of pumpkin pie with whipped cream, ate fast standing, and then put it down with about 1/4 left. He was done!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Minkymoo

Post by Minkymoo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:58 pm

I think what is helping me the most to stick to No S over Christmas is that my main focus is not really on loosing weight (although with a BMI of 34 I do need to loose at some point) but on modelling healthy eating habits for my daughter.

I don't deprive her of snacks (she is only 2!) but I believe it is good for her to see me go without snacks if I eat a good healthy meals with her and enjoy celebratory food with her at the right times and in the proper way. I also want to show her that food is for enjoying and so we enjoy baking biscuits with sprinkles - on Sundays, and we get pleasure from sharing the extras with the neighbours.

I'm hoping that a pleasant side effect of my no S compliance will be weight loss, though I suspect I will have to modify a bit to loose any significant weight, as I come from a long line of short, slightly hobbity women!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:12 pm

Hear, hear, minkymoo!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:08 am

My biggest problem with Christmas Day was that my younger daughter and I were invited to the home of a friend of hers and then we were expected at my oldest daughter's home. Unfortunately the two meals ended up being within two hours of each other. The only thing that stretched it out that long was that I was taking a couple of dishes to my daughter's and they had to go in the oven for about 30 minutes.

I took minimal portions at both places, but to say I was stuffed is an understatement.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:59 am

Minkymoo wrote:I think what is helping me the most to stick to No S over Christmas is that my main focus is not really on loosing weight (although with a BMI of 34 I do need to loose at some point) but on modelling healthy eating habits for my daughter.

I don't deprive her of snacks (she is only 2!) but I believe it is good for her to see me go without snacks if I eat a good healthy meals with her and enjoy celebratory food with her at the right times and in the proper way. I also want to show her that food is for enjoying and so we enjoy baking biscuits with sprinkles - on Sundays, and we get pleasure from sharing the extras with the neighbours.

I'm hoping that a pleasant side effect of my no S compliance will be weight loss, though I suspect I will have to modify a bit to loose any significant weight, as I come from a long line of short, slightly hobbity women!
Congrats on a successful holiday season! I'm right with you in that I've come to love "moderate indulgence" all the time, even during these super-indulgent seasons.

I've been at NoS for four years, and I have seen my good habits spill over into my family. Although I'm the only one "officially" following NoS, my daughter (just last year, who is super slim) decided to forgoe snacks--she wasn't as hungry as she should have been at meals and dropping teatime snacks seemed a reasonable solution TO HER. Also no one (now) likes to have sweets on end--the idea of dessert every day seems like overkill. And when we do have desserts, no one wants large servings of dessert--I've gone from cutting the 9x13 pan of brownies/cake/etc. from 12-15 servings to 18-24+ servings.

I think that for years I unknowingly encouraged overeating by always having *plenty* of food on the table, at all meals. Now, I fix enough reasonably-sized portions and everybody walks away *satisfied*. I've had no complaints and our food budget has benefitted!

Lastly, I fit the short, hobbity profile and I've lost 55+ pounds following Vanilla NoS--that's my favorite (because successful) "flavor."

Best wishes for a very good New Year!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!