Benefits of getting "back on the horse"

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

finallyfull

Benefits of getting "back on the horse"

Post by finallyfull » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:53 pm

I've been on & off No S for several years, only going off when I try to trick myself into the same thing that never works "I will just eat less" - ha!

Anyway, I have been back on for almost a month, and I am excited to report that I don't have to start from "scratch" every time, at all. Some habits kick back in like riding a bike -- and each time I think I've gathered new healthy insights about my own eating patterns. I don't have to go through the "huge plate" stage, or the truly wild weekend stage, or even the panic between meals stage. I also know which mods don't work for me long term. Some challenges remain, but I'm relieved to see how instantly peaceful this has been for me. I also have a good idea of what slight mods I need, based on all of the evidence, so I think I have a great foundation this time.

I also have the very humbling evidence that I always slowly gain when off No S, and so I hopefully will remember that the next time I decide that moderation is somehow a bad idea.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:54 pm

You are so right. There is never a downside to getting back on the horse with something so moderate and sane.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Nicest of the Damned

Re: Benefits of getting "back on the horse"

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:02 pm

finallyfull wrote:Anyway, I have been back on for almost a month, and I am excited to report that I don't have to start from "scratch" every time, at all. Some habits kick back in like riding a bike -- and each time I think I've gathered new healthy insights about my own eating patterns. I don't have to go through the "huge plate" stage, or the truly wild weekend stage, or even the panic between meals stage. I also know which mods don't work for me long term. Some challenges remain, but I'm relieved to see how instantly peaceful this has been for me. I also have a good idea of what slight mods I need, based on all of the evidence, so I think I have a great foundation this time.
I had the same experience when I went back on No S eight weeks after Nicest Baby was born. I had been off No S since my 36th week of pregnancy. (You're not supposed to diet for the first 6-8 weeks after delivery if you're breastfeeding, or it can affect your milk supply.) I had an easy time getting back on No S after a three-month hiatus. It just all came back to me.

emmay

Post by emmay » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:44 am

I'm glad to read this. I need to get back on the horse after a vacation.
I have a voice that tells me I can manage my own eating without rules. But I know that, without no s, bad habits creep up on me.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:35 pm

I feel the same way during my Round 2 after hiatus. Less manic than the first time around. Not "easy" yet though...

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:40 pm

I started back on Feb. 1st, and I've had the same experience. Much easier the second time around. In my case, I think it is (1) because I know it works, so (2) I'm not fighting it this time.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:13 am

Me too. Second round I knew to make this work I had to stick to it and let sdays be how they were.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:15 pm

I have never stopped doing No S, but after 2 years 2 months on No S, my level of compliance has slipped. I need to get back to the strictness I had in the first year. There is something to be gained by being more relaxed, but I have gotten too relaxed!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.