My issue with carbs

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Goodcooker

My issue with carbs

Post by Goodcooker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:06 pm

I REALLY have an issue with carbs. I am having a problem "just" counting three plates a day. Not only am I counting calories but I am also counting carbs. I am setting myself up for failure. I am carb sensative. Or am I? I'm not even sure if I am. The two years I ate low carb I convinced myself I was. And as it says in the No S Book, just cutting out all sugar through the week is cutting out so many carbs. I gotta tell you though....when I go to eat my bowl of oatmeal with chopped apple and raisins I kind of panic. Reprogramming my way of thinking is not easy. No S is truly the common sense way of eating. I have to stop over thinking maybe. I don't really have a question for you all. Tips on how to "get over it" would be great! lol By the way.....3rd week in and I am doing GREAT. Haven't lost any weight! But....I feel at peace. not sure if that makes any sense. I just need to get over the carb hump.
One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.
-Lucille Ball

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Why do you think you were sensitive to carbs? Did certain symptoms disappear that reappear when you eat carbs? Do you have the characteristics of a insulin resistance? If so, then probably you should consult an endocrinologist.

And really, just because you can eat carbs doesn't mean you have to. If you feel emotionally more secure eating low/no carb meals then by all means do so.

Eating should be an enjoyable experience that elicits feelings of gratitude, social connection and well being. It sounds like you are getting there. Keep going!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:23 pm

From reading what you wrote, I don't think you have a problem with carbs; I think you think you have a problem with carbs. I'd give up counting anything, but especially carbs -- unless there's a documented medical reason you should count them.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with oatmeal with chopped apples and raisins. Not one of my favorite foods, but

This is one of the problems with so much media attention to various diets or programs that limit one food group or another. Also, various "experts" and celebrities get on the bandwagon and try to make us believe that a food or food group is bad.

I think they've caused more insecurity surrounding food. People convince themselves that "x" is bad, shouldn't be consumed, is the cause of all issues with weight and health. That's probably true for a very small percentage of people.

EDIT: By the way, the book doesn't say to eliminate sugar during the week, it says to eliminate sweets.
Reinhard wrote:Note that the rule is no sweets, not no sugar. Sweets are defined as something whose principal source of calories is added sugar (whether refined or natural): cookies, Pop-Tarts, cola, candy bars, and so on. You don't have to go checking lists of ingredients and driving waiters crazy; your taste buds will let you know. If you have to wonder (for example yogurt or peanut butter), it's probably okay. By targeting just the really egregious offenders, you'll be cutting out a significant amount of calories. And when you avoid making yourself crazy over borderline foods, you'll be that much more likely to stick with the plan. The clear-cut cases are 80 percent of the problem and 0 percent of the headache.

Do we eat enough sugar that avoiding sweets during the week will make a decisive difference? Sadly, yet, more than enough. We eat more than 10 times as much added sugar as our nineteenth-century ancestors did. That's a lot of sugar calories and a lot of room for improvement. So much room that we could still enjoy plenty of sugar -- say, merely five times as much as our ancestors -- and still lose weight. Give the magnitude of excess in our current level of sugar consumption, there is no reason to resort to sweeping deprivations, denying ourselves carbs in general or even all sugar. No sweets during the week is enough -- and it's sustainable.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:52 pm

I decided I needed to stop eating pasta for a while. I know I can't eat it moderately right now. I have too many slip ups when pasta is involved. I am not giving up all carbs, just the ones that give me a hard time. I know i feel better when i eat whole grains and not too much 'white' i am not sayi g absolutely no white but less.
There was a time when I believed I HAD to have something sweet every day, a little chocolate or something. I am amazed that I don't feel that way, in fact I am really picky about the chocolate I eat. Over Christmas I ate some chocolate I used to love(Lindor truffles) and I thought they were GROSS they had a weird waxy flavor to me. I loved those things! Our tastes change when we don't eat it every day.
On the other hand I had some Dove Milk Chocolate. I still LOVE this. I think I will buy a bag this weekend. That is what I want more than any other treat.

If oatmeal freaks you out eat something else!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:05 am

Was it working for you to eat low carb, meaning was it helping you to eat less? If it did, why try No S?

Actually, it sounds like No S is working, if you are feeling peace, unless there is a real health issue that demands that you lose weight, since you haven't. However, many health issues respond quite well to an increase in eating better quality food and getting regular moderate exercise, even without weight loss.

If after a few months you find that sticking to No S and eating carbs hasn't helped you to eat less, then you can decide if you will adjust something. but I think it takes at least that long to begin to get over the freedom.

Good luck getting over this hump!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)