NoS While Breastfeeding

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ruthie71

NoS While Breastfeeding

Post by Ruthie71 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:24 am

Hi. Has anyone ever done NoS while breastfeeding a baby? Or is it a better idea to put some mods in place e.g. 4 meals a day? There is a worry that milk supply will be low if not enough food is eaten.

Any thoughts?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:15 pm

It's been a long time since I breast fed, but as long as you don't restrict calories, you should be okay. Three good meals a day should do, but if you feel the need, add a snack. You don't need to overfeed yourself to feed a baby.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:44 pm

they say you only need a little bit more calories. just make sure you drink lots of water too. that is very important!
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:31 pm

I think you can definitely follow NoS while nursing--just make sure you are getting enough fluid. The rule of thumb back when I had little ones was to drink 2 or 3 cups of water each time I sat down to nurse--I had one special cup that I used which made it easy for me to do so.

Congrats on a new baby!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:11 pm

I'm doing this now. I went off No S for the first eight weeks after Nicest Baby was born, because that's supposedly when your milk supply is being set. Since then, I've been doing vanilla, with the additional Sitting mod (no eating in any position other than sitting). I'm having no problems with supply (had an oversupply for a little while) and I'm losing weight.

Ruthie71

Post by Ruthie71 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks for replies. I guess my biggest concern will be the hunger, more often than not caused by fatigue. This is going to be my third child and is due in May. :)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:02 am

I've been breastfeeding and No-S ing since my son was about 8 weeks (he's 9 months now). It's been fine, I haven't needed a mod. If I was really starving after a night feed, I'd have a glass of milk before going back to bed. I lost about 1/2 pound a week down to just below my pre-pregnancy weight, with no issues with supply at all.

A nursing mother only needs 200 - 300 additional calories a day, assuming she doesn't have any fat stores. If she has a lot of extra body fat, she won't need as much extra, as her body can draw from stores.

I know what you mean about fatigue, my mantra was "I need sleep, not sweets", as the days after hard nights were always the most difficult to avoid snacking on sweet stuff!