For those of you who like oatmeal

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

For those of you who like oatmeal

Post by wosnes » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:53 pm

I'm not a big fan of oatmeal, but this was pretty good (even though I ate only a child-size portion): Aprtil Bloomfield's Porridge
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:38 pm

This looks really good. I'll try it tomorrow!

noni

Post by noni » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:45 pm

I made this this morning. It was very good. Nice chewy texture. Altho' I'm a lover of salt, I cut it down to less than half that it required...1/4 tsp for full recipe using regular table salt. I added some chopped dried fruit, maple syrup and half and half when it was finished.

It makes big servings. Also be sure not to neglect stirring more toward the end of cooking as it thickens or you will have a thick layer of unusable cereal stuck to the bottom...just saying :roll:

Minkymoo

Post by Minkymoo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:00 pm

After reading this, and also Reinhard's optimise your oatmeal ideas I am realising that in the USA porridge is a rather different (and altogether more serious) meal than the porridge that I am used to in England (anyone in the states heard of Readybrek?).
Over here its all about puddingy rolled oats and milky simplicity (unless your're Scottish, in which case its water and salt only).
I might just have to try a new approach though, as the picture in the link looks good enough to eat :-)

Dale

Post by Dale » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:28 am

I'm from Scotland and you're right - I wouldn't use milk to cook porridge, just water and salt! Once you're used it to that way, I don't see the point in using milk, but I know some people don't like the taste without. I think what we call oatmeal is what is called steel cut oats in this recipe. I like oatmeal as I think it has a nuttier texture, but it does take longer to cook than rolled oats. I like the idea of mixing them if you like both textures.

princesstina

Post by princesstina » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:34 am

Another Scot here, and I agree with you, Dale. Although since living in
England, have started to omit the salt but still cook my porridge with just water and then have it with a teaspoon of golden syrup and some cold milk on top - delicious but the Sassenach version I'm afraid. A little tip is to have the milk in a separate bowl to keep it cool, and take a bit with each spoonful of porridge. Another interesting point (to porridge-lovers) is that using salt in the cooking process makes the milk taste relatively sweet so there is no need for sugar (or syrup) with it. I also often make a meal of my porridge by cooking it with milk and a well-whisked egg in the microwave, then adding mashed banana and frozen berries - tastes lovely at room temperature so is good for a packed lunch. That's not a traditional Scottish version at all!