Binging- not feeling full

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Healthiermum

Binging- not feeling full

Post by Healthiermum » Fri May 31, 2013 8:38 pm

I was doing well with 10 green days under my belt and then these last 2 days I just couldn't stop eating. I just couldn't seem to get full no matter how much I ate. Is there something I'm doing wrong. With my meals I usually try to have a quarter to half the plate calorie dense foods and the rest freggies. The 1st 10 days I was fine and now just can't get full. Any suggestions?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri May 31, 2013 9:05 pm

I've had this happen now and again for my whole life. I never know why it happens because there's never been anything unusual going on with my diet before it happens. I could see it if I'd been eating far less than usual in the preceding days, if I'd been sick or if I changed what I was eating -- but that's never the case. It just comes out of the blue.

It seems to be self-limiting. I never have to do anything to stop. It will last a day or two or maybe three -- and then normal meals take care of my hunger.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Healthiermum

Post by Healthiermum » Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 pm

That's exactly what happens to me. It will last one to 2 days and then ill be fine. Also been happening with me every now and then since I started dieting. Which is why I started no s in the first to hopefully help overcome this

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri May 31, 2013 9:54 pm

I call those tapeworm days. It's been a while since I've had one but don't let it put you off No S. They happen.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:46 am

Helenaz123 wrote:That's exactly what happens to me. It will last one to 2 days and then ill be fine. Also been happening with me every now and then since I started dieting. Which is why I started no s in the first to hopefully help overcome this
I don't think this is necessarily something to overcome; more something to let run its course. I don't use habitcal so don't have red days, but if I did, the days that happens would be red days. They happen.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:37 pm

Or, just eat the normal amount and don't be so full. Give yourself a chance to get used to that feeling. It may be a perfectly normal one we misinterpret as a need for food when it's not, just as we may have felt any little twinge or impulse to eat communicated a real need. Unlikely.

Ten days is just BARELY getting going. You'll have plenty of variation of feelings over the course of the next year. Do the best you can to just keep going forward with the habits and ride the waves. Better than waiting for a dead calm.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:58 pm

oolala53 wrote:Or, just eat the normal amount and don't be so full. Give yourself a chance to get used to that feeling. It may be a perfectly normal one we misinterpret as a need for food when it's not, just as we may have felt any little twinge or impulse to eat communicated a real need. Unlikely.
When this happens to me, there is no way to eat the normal amount and not be so full. It's almost the exact opposite of normal. By that I mean, I'll often finish a meal and not feel "full." But if I wait 20 minutes, I'm satisfied. When this happens I'll feel satisfied at the end of a meal, but 20 minutes later I'm as hungry as if I hadn't eaten at all. And it just keeps getting worse. I'm just grateful that it happens infrequently and doesn't last very long.

Healthiermum

Post by Healthiermum » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:07 pm

That's exactly what happens to me. It's not that u don't feel full so much it's that I'm still starving and that could last hours doesn't matter what I eat. I know 10 days isn't long but just wanted to try overcome this and see if I was doing something wrong. At other times I feel satisfied with what I am eating its just when these days come I feel uncountable hunger not always.

noni

Post by noni » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Every now and then I have a day like this. It causes Peggy Lee's song to go though my head, "Is that all there is?" I just bite the bullet and keep the day green, because if I don't it will be a food orgy. I do have red days now and then, a nibble here a there when packing lunches, making dinner etc...,but they're different than what you are talking about.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:06 pm

noni wrote:Every now and then I have a day like this. It causes Peggy Lee's song to go though my head, "Is that all there is?" I just bite the bullet and keep the day green, because if I don't it will be a food orgy. I do have red days now and then, a nibble here a there when packing lunches, making dinner etc...,but they're different than what you are talking about.
There are a lot of days when I want more food, but these days are different. Not eating on these days in not an option. The closest thing I can compare it to is what it must be like to really be starving. The feelings of hunger are almost physically painful.

I've written before that if an apple won't satisfy your hunger, then you're not really hungry. On these days, bring on the apples!

I can ignore hunger and cravings most of the time, but not when this weird thing hits. What amazes me about these days is that no matter how much I eat, I don't get the stuffed feeling. It's as if I have the proverbial hollow leg. There's no "ugh, I ate too much yesterday" feeling the next day. As best as I can recall, there's no weight gain after one of these days.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:53 pm

Yep I can relate. I still feel rebellious in trying to cram in all those sweets that I can't have during the week. I don't know why or how to stop it. Other than being busy, staying out of the house, and planning public desserts. But that hasn't solved the wildness completely, because eating sweets in private is still one of my favorite things in the world. :oops: I did feel insatiable during the last S days. I think it was because I didn't plan out a few really good things that I really wanted. I just ate whatever non-special things were around, hoping to get that euphoria and never got it.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:36 am

Hi Helena- Just wondering, is this on S days and you overdo, or N days and you find yourself eating between meals or seconds?
I have that too, and I figure it's maybe a few fat cells pitching a fit because they're at the tipping point of shrinking, or sometimes it's that I smell something I haven't eaten in a while and it stimulates something in my brain. Anyway, I vascilate between just toughing it out and feeling hungry and kind of miserable for a few days, or just eating more and figure it will resolve itself eventually. That's a bit dangerous, though, a I think it might be how people who have lost a good bit of weight gain it back.
You're definitely not alone.
Last edited by osoniye on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Healthiermum

Post by Healthiermum » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:24 am

It happens on both n and s days but I think when it happens on s days its because of the sugar so now I try to only have a dessert at night on s days and that helps on those days. On n days it happens maybe once a fortnight the rest of n days I'm okay. It's happened on every diet I have been on I will be traveling along okay and then all of the sudden one one day ill be starving and nothing can satisfy me and the next day or so I'm fine again

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:28 am

The key for me was to not be afraid to fail and mark a red. It is not the end of the world. When I have hungry days, I try to eat more fulfilling meals and stick with the plan. However, if I fail, it is no longer the end of the world.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:59 pm

osoniye wrote:I figure it's maybe a few fat cells pitching a fit because they're at the tipping point of shrinking
That's a good way to look at it... :D