Ben and Me: from Temperance to Humility

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ou812

Ben and Me: from Temperance to Humility

Post by ou812 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:32 pm

I've bed reading parts of a book titled in the subject. The author attempts to live out 13 of Ben's Virtues. The first chapter is on temperance and the author sets out to restrict his diet to not eat between meals or eat after supper. No snacking was allowed. He reasoned that this was the only achievable long term diet that anyone could follow.

noni

Post by noni » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:18 pm

He's been proven right repeatedly!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:33 am

I read about the 13 virtues over 20 years ago, but had forgotten about them.

I did a little searching and found that Franklin started with temperance because he felt it was the virtue that would develop the self-discipline needed to master the remaining 12 virtues.

Franklin admitted he was never able to live the virtues perfectly, but thought he was a better and happier man for having made the attempt.

He couldn't live the virtues perfectly, but apparently didn't feel like a failure or question whether or not he should keep working at following them. As it applies to No-S, I think that's interesting.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks for the book recommendation.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:55 pm

I haven't seen this particular book, but I've long admired Ben Franklin's approach -- very "everyday systems." His 13 virtues and method for tracking them are a point of inspiration for the HabitCal. I look forward to the notion of virtue in general (and these charming old names for individual virtues) coming back into style again! I think it's bound to happen eventually, if only from our hunger for novelty (what's old is new again, if you wait long enough).

Bssh

Post by Bssh » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Just downloaded the book after reading the sample. Thanks for the heads up.
Start BMI 36, current BMI 19, goal BMI 19.
Losing by combining intermittent fasting with NoS.