Personal Responsibility!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Christine

Personal Responsibility!

Post by Christine » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:11 am

Here's a timely article... What do you all think?

http://ideas.time.com/2013/06/26/the-be ... nsibility/
I'm a Mac

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:52 am

I think you can call what it takes to lose weight will power - or habit building.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

noni

Post by noni » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:52 pm

Obesity, of itself, being called a disease just sounds like another politically correct term.

To overcome obesity/overweightness sure feels like will power to me. Every day except an S day. And even then I'm hoping to exercise a little of that in the near future on S days. I'd love it to come naturally instead, of course!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:06 pm

noni wrote:Obesity, of itself, being called a disease just sounds like another politically correct term.

To overcome obesity/overweightness sure feels like will power to me. Every day except an S day. And even then I'm hoping to exercise a little of that in the near future on S days. I'd love it to come naturally instead, of course!
Political correctness is making a lot of waves this week. I'm actually kind of tired of political correctness!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Christine

Post by Christine » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:45 pm

wosnes wrote:
noni wrote:Obesity, of itself, being called a disease just sounds like another politically correct term.

Political correctness is making a lot of waves this week. I'm actually kind of tired of political correctness!
You and me both! I thought it was rather unexpected that there would be an article actually pondering the possibility of someone using self-restraint! Who'd a thunk it!!!

My point is, that the diethead ways of thinking are so subtle and insinuate themselves into our understanding, it's insane! Putting weight and eating problems in the context of habit-building (or not) makes so much sense to me now; a few short weeks ago (even though I'd read Reinhard's book a year ago), I wouldn't have considered it and was almost falling for the line "I can't help it! I'm such a victim, the big bad food monster tied my hands behind my back and shoved food down my throat!" Aaarrrggghhh...
I'm a Mac