Dog Days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Dog Days

Post by wosnes » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Yesterday was so hot I barely wanted to eat, let alone cook. This morning I thought it might be time to bring these meal ideas front and center again.

They are from Mark Bittman. Each is 101 ideas that require little time and (usually) little cooking.

Summer Express: 101 Simple Meals Ready in 10 Minutes or Less

101 Simple Salads for the Season

101 Picnic Dishes to Make in 10 Minutes or Less

101 Fast Recipes for Grilling

Although this isn't his recipe, I'm thinking about seafood gazpacho.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks for the rescource! looks delicious.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

SuperMysteryCat

Post by SuperMysteryCat » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:00 pm

Thank you! Now, which one to start with...

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:56 pm

wosnes, thank you, thank you, thank you!
I love simple and quick and healthy recipes; it assures me that I do cook, at these hot temperatures and any time... :roll: :lol:
In a few minutes I will start preparing the anchovie-pasta with tomatoes and Italian-type mozzarella cheese (my additions).

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:48 pm

Bittman has a book based on this concept: Kitchen Express. There are 404 meals, 101 for each season. I think the book is in Reinhard's Amazon Store.

He also has a book called How to Cook Everything: Summer. It's only available on Kindle and it's very inexpensive. Most of the recipes are in standard recipe format -- variations are in the format of those in the above links. There's one that is calling my name: Grilled shrimp tacos with spicy no-mayo coleslaw.

Make the coleslaw, grill shrimp (or scallops) . Warm and fill flour or corn tortillas. Add tomatoes and/or avocado and finish with a squeeze of lime juice.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:37 pm

Mmmh.
Thanks again :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:45 pm

Dinner tonight: Salsa Verde Chicken Bake and Mexican Street Corn. It's cooled off. I can stand to turn on the oven.

Dinner soon: Mama Canales-Garcias Avocado Shrimp Salsa. For when I can't stand to turn on the oven again! Although, I'll probably make it as soon as possible.