Times change

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ironized yeast

Times change

Post by ironized yeast » Mon May 01, 2006 4:09 pm

I fear for some of the women here. What if they lose all the weight they want only to find that tastes have changed?

My screen-name and now my avatar both come from my favorite product from the 30's and 40's.

Here's an ad I found:

http://www.angelfire.com/la/carlosmay/I ... Yeast.html

I find it funny that the woman on the right (the ideal) would probably now be considered almost morbidly obese.

Unsurprisingly, Ironized Yeast isn't in business anymore. Once women decided they would rather look like the woman on the left there wasn't much of a market for it.
Lights out, everybody.
It...is...later...than...you...think.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Mon May 01, 2006 6:15 pm

I don't think the women who are following the nos lifestyle are trying to look like the woman on the left or even necessarily the woman on the right.

This is not a way of eating that is going to turn you into a stick figure. It is a way to normalize and give structure to a indulgent society.

Everywhere you turn is another advertisement to indulge and treat yourself with food, food is love, food makes you happy; but then it compounds the other conflicting message being sent out that to be loved and accepted you must be thin, and that thin is the only way you are healthy.

I believe NoS is the diet of intelligent people who want to enjoy life and food, while make reasonable choices and having easy to follow guidelines to help us through all the corporate programming shoved our way.

Fads may come and go as to what society feels is "beautiful" in men or women. With my current size I would be a super model of the middle ages (what I'm trying to say is I'm a bit rubenesque), but in today's society I'm just pudgy.

I'm not looking for thin or perfection. I'm just looking for better. I want to better myself, better my body and in doing so feel more confident about my lifestyle and food choices.
When I asked for all things, so that I may enjoy Life, I was given Life, so that I may enjoy all things.

Samurai

Difference between men and women

Post by Samurai » Mon May 01, 2006 8:27 pm

Interesting article, IY.

At the risk of being labeled a misogynist or chauvinist pig, I'll participate in this thread. :wink:

I think today that men still prefer the shape and size of the women on the right, but women prefer the look of the woman on the left. It seems that the magazines and film place thin women front and center, whereas most of the men I know in real life do not necessarily find rail-thin women attractive.

I know not every woman desires to be extremely thin, I'm speaking only to the context of the article and comments posted by Ironized Yeast.
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

ironized yeast

Re: Difference between men and women

Post by ironized yeast » Mon May 01, 2006 8:36 pm

Samurai wrote:It seems that the magazines and film place thin women front and center, whereas most of the men I know in real life do not necessarily find rail-thin women attractive.
I agree completely. There are many times in my life when I've cringed when I hear that a shapely, sexy female is about to go on a diet. And I'm not unique. Check the BMI for the next Playboy centerfold.

I posted the ad only because I thought it was amusing, not because i thought it spoke volumes about the transient nature of "beauty" in our society. I need to get better at using the smily faces to declare my intent.
Lights out, everybody.
It...is...later...than...you...think.

navin

Post by navin » Mon May 01, 2006 10:52 pm

And, of course, there is much more to dieting (especially No-S) than just looks. I, for one, find a woman who cares about her health and takes care of herself to be very attractive, regardless of the specific body shape. And I know I'm not alone in that sentiment...
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 02, 2006 5:58 pm

Welcome and thanks for the link, ironized.

I don't think the one on the right looks morbidly (or even slightly) obese, but it is true and striking that the skinny lefty is more today's ideal. I think a lot of it has to do simply with the association of beauty and wealth. When food was expensive and the lower classes had to burn calories for a living, fat was in. Now that it's cheap and movement is a luxury, thin is expensive and therefore in.

Reinhard