Soda Distributors to End Most School Sales

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Soda Distributors to End Most School Sales

Post by reinhard » Wed May 03, 2006 6:42 pm

This was sort of a no-brainer, but a lot of no-brainers never wind up happening:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/ ... 38060.html
Some of the country's biggest beverage companies have agreed to stop selling sugary soft drinks and other high calorie beverages in the nation's schools, in an initiative announced today by former President Bill Clinton and Gov. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas, both of them leaders in the movement to help stamp out childhood obesity.

The companies said they will sell only water, certain fruit juices and low-fat or fat-free milk to all students, with diet or low-calorie sodas, teas and sports drinks allowed for sale to high school students. Portion sizes will also be tailored to each age group.
In related news, an interesting article on "soft paternalism" at the economist:

http://www.economist.com/opinion/displa ... id=6772346

With all due respect to "Dear sir," I have trouble seeing the what the downside of such "intelligent defaults" are. There's always going to be a default, it might as well be intelligent.

Reinhard

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Wed May 03, 2006 10:42 pm

i heard about this on the news today..FINALLY! I am sick of walking into my kids high school and seeing all of the pop machines AND candy machines...and all in the name of money for the schools...that is sad that schools have to resort to selling junk food to kids just to make some money. Glad somebody is doing something about it even if i'm not a big Clinton fan.
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."