Tempus Fugit when you're having fun!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jammin' Jan

Tempus Fugit when you're having fun!

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri May 05, 2006 11:22 am

Yes, indeed, time does fly, doesn't it? Today is my one year anniversary on the No-S Diet. I am happy to report that my weight is holding constant (104 pounds), my measurements are okay (waist 25 inches), and I'm just as short as ever (5' 1"). Eating is a joy and I don't have to exercise like an obsessed person any more.

Thanks, Reinhard, for everything, and to all who have supported me on this board over the past year.

Pax et Bonum to all! :D

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 05, 2006 1:26 pm

I wish I remembered enough Latin to properly congratulate you in the eternal language, but I haven't been able to find any Latin audio books so I'm dreadfully out of practice. :-)

Congratulations, Jan! You've given at least as much as you've gotten from this group. Looking forward to another year (and then some).

Reinhard

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri May 05, 2006 1:38 pm

Thanks for the kind words!

Tempus fugit = time flies

Pax et Bonum = Peace and Good (a favorite greeting of St. Francis of Assisi)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri May 05, 2006 1:42 pm

Happy NoS Anniversary Jammin Jan!!!
Enjoy your weekend :)

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

This path is my life

Congrats Jan!!

Post by This path is my life » Fri May 05, 2006 2:13 pm

Jan, that is amazing! Congrats Congrats!! ::blow noisemakers:: Your accomplishments are very admirable. I am looking forward to my 1 year as well (April 28, 2007). Can I ask, now that you've had a year to reflect, what were some things that made sticking to the diet easier for you, specific motivators, helpful habits you've formed, ways you may have modified No-S to fit your life better etc. Also is your family supportive? Are any of your close friends or family on No-S as well? Those answers are probably in your posts somewhere, but I haven't gotten through all of them yet. Anyway, congrats again! You're part of my one year inspiration! Have a great day!
"There is no such thing as a bad choice, there is only the next choice"

Simon

Post by Simon » Fri May 05, 2006 2:35 pm

Way to go Jan!

I'll be looking to you as an example to follow. Except for the 25 inch waist thing. I'd be happy with a 25 inch thigh. If I can keep the waist at a respectable 34, I'm a happy man.
Simon
"Hickory Hand of the North"

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri May 05, 2006 2:51 pm

Jenn:

Things that made it easier: being very strict with my self in the begining and absolutely no fudging of no-s rules; filling up my three plates a day; my wonderful supportive family; planning my s-day treats; not quitting after blowing it completely here and there; the wonderful people on this board; reading, re-reading, and re-re-reading the stuff Reinhard has written; adopting as a mantra "no sweets, no snacks, no seconds, except on days that begin with S" and reciting it whenever I need it; lastly, putting a No-S business card with a picture of a big fat pig next to the handle of the fridge. Oink!

Things that made it harder, and have therefore been jettisoned along the way: trying to eat off a smaller plate; not having a treat or two on s-days; weird work schedules with tiny little breaks (I have since learned to increase the amount of food I eat on breaks); trying to return to my formerly low-fat vegan diet (requires lots of grazing).

Things I just blow off now: church/work/social events that are offering me s-day foods on no-s days. "No, thank you" and "Maybe later" work well as responses. Then I find some no-s thing to drink so I look like I'm part of the group.

Things I have learned: If I fill up my plate (but no longer piled like in the beginning!) with 1/2 plate fruit/non-starchy veggie/salad/juice; 1/4 plate starch; and 1/4 plate animal protein, then I have absolutely no trouble at all getting from one meal to another, even if the meals are spaced too far apart or I am very active. On the rare occasions when I absolutely can't make it, and can feel my blood sugar pooling on the floor around my toes, and if I am working or driving, then I dring a glass of 100% orange juice and that gets me through.

And that's all I know. Hope it helps. :D

Donna O

WELL DONE !!

Post by Donna O » Sun May 07, 2006 2:58 pm

Congratulations on your one year anniversary !!

You sound so at peace with food and weight issues !

You are an inspiration to me and I am sure many others as well.

Thank you for speaking from your heart

XOXO

Donna O

This path is my life

Post by This path is my life » Tue May 09, 2006 4:39 pm

Jan:

Thank you so much for your thoughtful answer about the things that have worked and not worked for you. I think that I will be similarly helped by a lot of those things. I like the way your portion your plates too, because in addition to the amount being important I think that on N-days, for me at least, I prefer to have some balance to what I eat as well because technically I could eat let's say a block of cheese for breakfast just because it could fit on one plate and is not a sweet, but that doesn't mean that I should. I think I will try to portion out my plates like you do, I think that's an excellent idea.

Thanks again Jan! and way to go!
"There is no such thing as a bad choice, there is only the next choice"

3aday

Post by 3aday » Thu May 18, 2006 5:34 pm

Jan,
Congratulations!
Thanks for the support and inspiration!
Becky