What is Weight Management Success?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BrightAngel

What is Weight Management Success?

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:36 pm

I think that some of you might be very interested in hearing
this Professional lecture given at a recent Medical Conference:
The 5A's of Obesity Management,
which ties in to support the concepts of NoS.

http://www.diethobby.com/blog.php?ax=v&nid=903
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

harpista

Re: What is Weight Management Success?

Post by harpista » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:33 am

BrightAngel wrote:I think that some of you might be very interested in hearing
this Professional lecture given at a recent Medical Conference:
The 5A's of Obesity Management,
which ties in to support the concepts of NoS.

http://www.diethobby.com/blog.php?ax=v&nid=903
I haven't been by here in forever and a day, but belatedly, I was VERY interested in hearing this lecture and listened to the whole thing (although I actually stumbled on it while looking at your Diethobby site).

Depressing, but then, I guess I might already have been there; I've thought not gaining was a laudable thing for years now.
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:23 pm

I was interested in the fact relatively early on was that he said that doctors are unlikely to even talk to a patient about obesity to 3 our of 4 people who are obviously heavy.

It almost seems like a lose-lose situation. On the other forum I write on, I have heard tons of complaints about their doctor either bringing up their weight or not bringing up their weight.

One of my doctors told me I had to lose weight in order to improve a problem I had. I didn't believe him and I was right. I've lost ten pounds more than he suggested, but it hasn't changed the problem.

I do like the idea he says about treatment's first goal is to stop weight gain, not begin weight loss. That is basically what I started with. Weight loss has happened as I surrendered to my reduced tolerance for overeating, but I thought at each stage that this might be it. And I did see that someone else may decide that she was not willing to eat less. I have a suspicion that I will actually lose more because I still don't exercise consistently, but intend to, just as I always believed that at some point, I was going to reduce my eating, and yet didn't for years. I don't think it will take as long... because I don't think I have 40 more years!

I LOVE that he says he looks for markers of better health, not weight loss, as a measure of successful obesity management. And that he says best weight is the most realistic weight a person can maintain with a livable lifestyle. The second one is something Reinhard has recommended from the beginning.

I think a lot more people would be helped by thinking they were successful before they are thin. I see too much fretting over not having achieved a certain weight when the person has actually made very good changes to her habits for long periods of time. I think if they realize that they enjoy their new life, they might actually be able to keep making small changes that reduce their weight as a side effect.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)