Rewire your brain for weight loss

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

heatherhikes

Rewire your brain for weight loss

Post by heatherhikes » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:58 pm

http://askgeorgie.com/rewire-your-brain ... -calories/

A helpful article whether to count or not to count - imho :wink:
The article "you don't have to eat 6 times a day" is also interesting.

jw

Post by jw » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:13 am

Excellent read, Heddi!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:56 am

For me, hunger for 60-120 minutes before each meal is a better measure. And it can take quite a few hours to get to that point, especially on S days.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:09 am

That's very interesting. I tend to have short-term (2 weeks, perhaps?) success while counting calories before I rebel and go completely nuts. My theory is that tracking/planning every morsel puts food in the forefront of your attention, so you end up pretty much obsessed about what/when/how much you eat... and you get hungry in the process - no wonder with all that thinking about food!

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:28 pm

I have been working to break my calorie counting habit all year. When I count, I'm on a "diet" and I not only think way more about food, but I think far less about nutrition, and even worse, I stop listening to my body and paying attention to what I need to eat to keep me feeling satisfied until an hour or two before the next meal.

I wish I'd never learned what a calorie is.

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:40 pm

haha I wish I'd never learnt what a calorie is too finallyfull!!
My partner has no idea about how many cals he should eat or what is in what or what is a high or low amount. I would love to be like that, once we know we know though, at least we can train our brains to eventually not count :D
Finally found a lifestyle change, not a diet!
Starting weight 167 lbs
Goal is to lose 20lbs in time for my wedding!

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:20 pm

Counting bites is easier than calories, and I have thought less and obsessed less with counting bites, than I did when I would wait until hungry to eat. Its just so easy to stop on bite number "such and such" instead of reading the sides of labels, calculating and calculating. A bite is a bite is a bite, rich, lean,fat ect.

http://countyourbites.blogspot.com/2013 ... s-new.html

I realize that counting bites would not be helpful or work for everyone, but for me, it has taken the thinking, the obsession away from my mind. For example, I don't have to think, Am I hungry enough to eat? Should I eat? Or Should I not eat? When should I stop eating? Is it now? Or is it now? Maybe I should eat a little more and a little more! Intuitive eating makes sense, but It really made me do a lot of thinking and obsessing and waiting and It made me overthink losing weight.

With counting bites, when the number is at my limit, Im done.

Same as with No S 3 meals a day strategy, when its not my meal time, I almost always don't eat, no matter how hungry or not hungry I am!!

When I take my bite number down, I naturally become hungry before meals a lot of times. ANd with intermittent fasting, I go to bed hungry almost every night. We cant lose weight and maintain it, without feeling some hunger. No two ways about it! :D
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:07 pm

I started lifting weights after a 6 month hiatus and suddenly my tapeworm returned where I just could not get full. I've had about 10 really rough days of constantly being hungry despite eating the same amounts and types of foods that had been keeping me quite content all summer long.

Sometimes, hunger can fool you. But usually not.

I seem to be pass the worst of it now but that non-stop hunger is a witch.

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:14 pm

At the end of the day, you need to create a calorie deficit to lose weight. It doesn't matter how you attain it; could be counting calories, points, bites or eating instinctively or according to hunger and satiety, etc.

You always have to have a standard to compare to your eating.

I used to count calories but got worn out. And I'm an accountant. Now I (try to) use portion sizes to arrive at the volume of food that will leave me satisfied, not full and certainly not stuffed. That's how I lose weight, slowly but surely and painlessly.

Many weight loss gurus, such as the eminent Swede doctor Andreas Eenfeldt, MD, allege that counting calories is an eating disorder. This concept is somewhat in agreement with Georgie of the article.

However, since Comrade Lenin said that the end justifies the means, use whatever system works for you.

Everybody is different and what works for me may not work for you and vice versa. Thus, if your current system is not working look for one that will. Just remember that Chairman Mao said that every problem has a solution.
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:18 pm

I found this article about calorie counting by Brad Pilon that is very helpful:

http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/calorie-counting/
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

krawford13

Post by krawford13 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:49 pm

herbsgirl wrote:Counting bites is easier than calories, and I have thought less and obsessed less with counting bites, than I did when I would wait until hungry to eat. Its just so easy to stop on bite number "such and such" instead of reading the sides of labels, calculating and calculating. A bite is a bite is a bite, rich, lean,fat ect.

http://countyourbites.blogspot.com/2013 ... s-new.html

I realize that counting bites would not be helpful or work for everyone, but for me, it has taken the thinking, the obsession away from my mind. For example, I don't have to think, Am I hungry enough to eat? Should I eat? Or Should I not eat? When should I stop eating? Is it now? Or is it now? Maybe I should eat a little more and a little more! Intuitive eating makes sense, but It really made me do a lot of thinking and obsessing and waiting and It made me overthink losing weight.

With counting bites, when the number is at my limit, Im done.

Same as with No S 3 meals a day strategy, when its not my meal time, I almost always don't eat, no matter how hungry or not hungry I am!!

When I take my bite number down, I naturally become hungry before meals a lot of times. ANd with intermittent fasting, I go to bed hungry almost every night. We cant lose weight and maintain it, without feeling some hunger. No two ways about it! :D
I have tried counting bite while doing the no s diet and it is my preferred method of knowing when to stop eating. It is uncomplicated and it works. I too have tried intuitive eating and all I did was think about food. I give myself 20 bites a meal and that is it. A friend of mine lost 20 pounds eating this way.
kat

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:48 pm

I am so excited to see another bite counter here on No S!!!!!!!!! It seems like counting bites is almost unheard of to a lot of people and a lot of people seem to think its not doable.

One time I was going to a dietican, she didn't think that counting bites was a lifelong change, and I thought I could see myself doing it as a lifestyle change ect!!!

Thank you for commenting! So you eat 60 bites a day?

I give myself One S day, which is Sunday and I allow myself more bites that day, which works out good. I don't have to use all my bites if I don't want to!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com