Gotta ask "Why?"

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Donnadolittlemore

Gotta ask "Why?"

Post by Donnadolittlemore » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:48 pm

So I am fairly new to this diet plan. I actually do see it as a new way of living rather than a diet. As I go about my day the one rule that is most challenging and enlightening is the No Snacks rule. Every time I want a snack I know I can't have it. I am forced to ask myself why I want the snack and is there another way to replace the need to eat. 99% I am not truly hungry.

Yesterday is a perfect example. I desperately wanted chocolate for a snack. I knew I was not really hungry. I took a moment and realized I wanted it because I felt very tired and was hoping for a boost of energy. The other day my daughters were arguing and I suddenly had a strong urge to stick my head in a bag of chips. In both cases I had to look for another way to make myself feel better. I could go on and on with examples.

This is the first diet that has forced me to truly look at my snacking habit and try to figure out what was driving me to mindlessly snack. It sounds so simple and easy to remedy. However, in the moment and with many years of using food to cope it is far from easy. I never allowed myself to realize how big a role food plays in my life. Why??

jw

Post by jw » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:04 pm

Well, drinking and smoking have become unacceptable! LOL :lol:
Food has become the go-to solution to all kinds of problems, in the way people used to have a drink or a cigarette to calm down, settle the nerves, take a break -- whatever.

All of those things mask the thing we wish would go away (the tiredness, the wrangling kids, boredom, irritation, whatever!) in a socially acceptable way.
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

jw

Post by jw » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:20 pm

This kind of ties in to the 50's slenderness posts, come to think of it! Food wasn't a haven in times of trouble, as it is now!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

Donnadolittlemore

Post by Donnadolittlemore » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:51 pm

Now I think I need to have a list of healthy vices to go to when I feel the need to mindlessly snack.

GraceW

Post by GraceW » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:43 pm

Donnadolittlemore wrote:Now I think I need to have a list of healthy vices to go to when I feel the need to mindlessly snack.
My go-to vice is knitting. It keeps both of my hands busy, and I can't snack because it would soil my project.

Donnadolittlemore

Post by Donnadolittlemore » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:24 am

Gracew- great idea! Now I just have to learn how to knit. Sounds fun!

worth it

Post by worth it » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:58 am

I just had the exact same conversation with my husband today. Since I started a new job, I've noticed my urge to snack has been so much stronger(and I know I'm not hungry). In this office, I happen to sit near a "candy drawer" that people frequent several times a day. Its weird that since Ive been doing No S for that past few months, part of me can't believe that I haven't broken down and taken some by now... and another part of me is totally at ease knowing I don't eat sweets unless its the weekend. It is just in those times of stress: new people, new atmosphere, making mistakes, etc, that I realize just how much food has played a role in my life. Ironically I was using it to try and calm myself, but looking back now (and not "using" food anymore) I've realized that I actually got even more anxiety from eating for non-related hunger. That thought is such a gift so far. And while my weight loss has been pretty minimal, I am choosing to focus on those behaviors to keep me motivated! Here's to getting even stronger-thanks for posting!

Donnadolittlemore

Post by Donnadolittlemore » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:57 am

Wirth7- I feel exactly the same way. My weight has not dipped significantly but I feel great not having the emotional warfare that goes on when I eat and feel guilty or struggle with whether or not I should eat something.

Congratulations on your new job! You will become popular sitting next to the candy drawer;)