lunch at work

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mabelsfriend

lunch at work

Post by mabelsfriend » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:44 pm

Hi all,

I have struggled with No S in the past, and I think it's mostly lunch that's giving me problems (well, that and my desire to eat sweets after dinner).

I struggle with the one plate rule at lunch when I take my lunch to work. When I take leftovers from dinner, I do OK. Enough calories to keep me from getting too hungry fit on the plate. But when I don't have leftovers I tend to take multiple items--- a lean cuisine, a salad with dressing, yogurt, fruit, sometimes chips, etc. A lot of these things are low cal, but bulky, and don't fit on a plate easily-- especially with the packaging. If I only eat the number that will truly fit on the plate, then I'm ready to eat the furniture before dinner.

How do you all comply with the one plate rule when you brown bag your lunch to work? Again, leftovers are an option part of the time for me, but not every day.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi, Mabelsfriend,
For me, it helps to have something I can pack at a moment's notice that I enjoy eating, which fits nicely into 1 tupperware.
For me that is often a bed of shreaded carrots with a cooked veggie (like cold steamed cauliflower or grilled eggplant) on top, smothered with some cottage cheese and a little drizzle of olive oil. I cook the veggie special if there are no leftovers. Another is egg salad on top of a vegetable salad and some beets or pickles on the side. Again, I make up the egg salad and chop some lettuce and tomatoes beforehand. It just takes a bit of planning and shopping with lunches in mind, but it works well for me, when I'm in the habbit of carrying lunches.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:43 pm

I personally don't follow the one plate rule. If it sounds, looks or feels excessive, it probably is. Don't over think this. The one plate rule itself will not make you lose weight. It's symbolic to me - to remind you to eat less.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:35 pm

My lunches are usually:
leftovers
or
PB&J, apple, chips
or
mixed nuts, hunk of cheese, apple
or
2 tortillas with beans and cheese

If I get really hungry mid-afternoon I have a milky coffee. However, after 5 months of NoS I am noticing that my body is fine waiting for dinner. I don't get as hungry (and I don't panic, because I know the next meal isn't too far away).
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

mabelsfriend

Post by mabelsfriend » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:21 pm

I like these ideas. The right size tupperware would work, as would a standard list of planned lunches. Thanks for the suggestions:)

resident0063

Post by resident0063 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:11 am

I'm with Sinnie. The one plate rule is great but not if it's a hindrance to you. I like Reinhards default rule. For him it's oatmeal. It's figuring out a meal that you like that is reasonable but will still get you to the next meal. For everyone it's different because we like different foods and we need different amounts. It's your needs and preference. Also, home cooked meals are best but it's not necessary to do them if they ruin your plan. If there is a reasonable alternative that is affordable around work use that. Of course no extra large combos...but for me a six inch subway or a rice chicken bowl can be the perfect size. Good luck. It's a lot of self experimentation but I've found really no's is about eating reasonably and regularly to prevent binge eating...I think it's same for many... If something leads you to eat unreasonably you probably shouldn't be doing it.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:25 am

I'm late to the party but commenting anyway.

I like to have the whole enchilada for lunch! I tend to keep supplies of protein, starch, freggies, and good fats on hand all the time, so that I usually have the makings for lunches quite similar to my dinners in terms of variety. I've done it for years, so it's just routine. I do use convenience such as cooked supermarket chickens and turkey breast. I'll also divide a fast food Mexican meal in two for easy lunches, supplemented with freggies. I've found several plastic containers that are divided in such a way that I can fit it all in and have it be similar to what I would have on a plate.

Maybe this year I'll break down and see if I could be happy with optimized oatmeal. I usually like a little more ceremony to my lunch. :lol:
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)