What made/makes you fall of the NoS wagon for a long time?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

eschano

What made/makes you fall of the NoS wagon for a long time?

Post by eschano » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi,
Someone posted a similar question on ZippaDee's daily thread. I thought it would be very valuable to learn from everyone who has drifted away a bit for a prolongued period of time. We all know the reasons to come back: NoS is the sanest, most sustainable thing, but it would be great to know and then being able to pre-empt the reasons to drift away:

This was ZippaDee's answer on her daily check-in. Thank you for letting me share it!
Thanks for the encouragement ladies!! Sorry it has taken me a while to get back here! Things continue to go well! I'm staying green! Trying so fervently to keep my eyes wide open because I know things can turn like a dime.

So this question:

Quote:
What caused you to stop (or drift away) from your NoS habits the first two attempts?

I know it was NOT my distress over slow progress because I was very happy with my progress. Perhaps a little too happy and comfortable! Change in routine is hard for me. So, since I work in a school I am off for the summer. This change is difficlut.....just a different routine. Being home all day long around food and kids. And, as I said....I get down to a certain weight and it feels good and I relax and stop paying attention as jw said. People start noticing...and I think..."oh I'm looking good"...kind of the "I have arrived" attitude plays into it. And one slip turns into another and another and another until I am totally off agian. It's not really binging for me.....just poor choices begin to creep back in. And, before you know it I am right back to my old habits.

Must ALWAYS keep eyes wide open!

ONWARD
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:55 pm

I know for me, it was/is:

- having a go at IE (Intuitive Eating) in December. I found it quite hard to get back into the habits.

- seeing a really low number on the scale. Not sure why. Self-sabotage, a little bit of fear of losing my role of the "chubby girl" - not that I like that role, I don't at all but it is familiar and it's weird how human beings will sometimes choose the familiar over happiness.

- seeing a higher number on the scale. Makes me want to binge eat out of frustration, although that barely ever happens anymore. You see, I'm a big believer in "mark it and move on" and "focus on habit"

- getting stressed. Especially, if I pretend that I'm fine.

- having an upsetting time. Especially, if pretend that I'm fine.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:13 pm

two things: stress and travel. I have an incredibly stressful job and I travel a ton for work. In both cases, it is hard to maintain the same frame of mind I have when I am not stressed and I am at home. All I can do is go back to No S when I am able. I'm working on it, but haven't really found a way to manage either thing very well.

Jill d

Post by Jill d » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:13 pm

A lot of my reasons are similar to eschano's above related to the scale.

Additionally, I start to feel how "easy" whatever way of eating is, and then I
1) get this very self-righteous attitude about it
2) began to focus (too quickly) on premature optimization
3) rave about it to my supportive siblings (who have similar issues to food as I do)
4) think just how totally easy it's going to be to reach my goal weight (although I never have in 13+ years on/off dieting as an adult)

All the while, I need to just "keep my eyes on my own plate", as I heard recently on another podcast, and stay vigilant.
"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labour of a spasmodic Hercules." -Anthony Trollope

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:28 pm

For me, it's having a disrupted schedule and simultaneously having access to a lot of food or too many sweets, etc. In these almost 4 years of NoS, I've gone off for a few months at a time, several times. For example, I went on a 2 week vacation this past July, and considered it a as all S days... that would been fine in and of itself, but it was hard to scale it back down through August. September was OK, but then I traveled for work and to visit my mom in October, and that was stressful, and there was lots of fast food involved. Then came November, in which I didn't get/stay on track, followed by the holidays, and I just sort of stayed off kilter. Didn't get to really buckle down again until February.
So, it seems to be: getting badly off track and then staying sidetracked giving in to a "who cares?" attitude when the scales shows some gains, and just letting go of habit. It's so hard to get back in the groove after a big interruption!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

losingforgood

What makes/made you fall off the no s diet wagon

Post by losingforgood » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:42 pm

I think, when I tried it 2 years ago, I was so "dependent" on snacks, I found it too hard to resist the urge. I think, this time around, I finally realize that it's lot like overcoming addiction to alcohol, drugs or cigarettes, with the added challenge that the very thing I'm addicted to is also the very thing my body absolutely can not live without. The substance is always in our systems. I remember how challenging it was to quit smoking 18 years ago. This time around, I had already started to come to terms with the need to drastically cut down on my starch and carbs in general, and started eating a more same amount and filled my meals with more veggies, protein and fats (except trans fats), just a small amount if starchy, carby food in the meal. I started noticing fewer cravings to snacking and I was more content between meals. Within a week of eating this way, it clicked to me that the no s diet would be a great way for me to really pay attention to what and when I 'm eating and how much, in a simple, doable way. I still get urges from time to time, and when I do, they're exactly like the mental urges I still have for a cigarette. Those urges are very powerful and not easy to overcome. But I figure, I can overcome those urges over smoking after 18 years, then I can overcome the urges to over eat. It was " time".
I Corinthians 10:13-14; "No temptation has ceased you except what is common to man..."

Simpless

Post by Simpless » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:30 pm

Hello!

I first tried No S back in April 2009. I didn't last more than a month or so. Maybe I thought I needed something more defined with what I could and couldn't eat. I'm not quite sure, but right now I'm tired and overwhelmed with diets, and I've decided to give No S another go. No S makes sense. Its also simple, but that doesn't mean easy.
I am down a size from what I was in 2009, but still should lose another 35-40 pounds. So here I go! Hope you hear from me again.
Thanks for still being here!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:30 am

I echo things others have already said:

1. Getting overconfident, when I achieve a lower number on the scale.
2. Getting upset when my weight goes up a few pounds and bingeing.
3. Feeling bogged down when life gets stressful and feeling like I deserve the extra sweet or snack.
4. Sometimes, I have just felt the need to rebel. This is truly the sanest way to eat, but there have been times when I've gotten bored with it and left -- only to discover that I prefer the No S way of eating after all.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:00 am

For me it was:
1. Getting overconfident after a long period of compliance and success.
2. Big changes in routine - a move to 3 days a week working at a new office, the crazy lead up to my sister's wedding followed by Christmas. Much less time to keep up with my check-in here and stay accountable.

On a positive note, even drifting away slightly didn't lead to a total "throw the whole system out" and I only gained a few kilos, which I'm now happily getting rid of again.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:25 pm

my first attempt only lasted a month and a half June 2012-July 2012. i stopped because i saw my weight go up and that terrified me. i was having very wild weekends and that was the main problem that led to weight gain. but instead of riding it out and letting myself fall into the habit and lose some of that weight, i went back to calorie counting. of course that would fail, i don't like starving myself at 1600 calories a day. this time i started was feb of 2013 and i have just over a year now of NoS. i am at a cautious point right now as i just came back from a 10 day vacation (cruise) and they gave us desserts every night regardless of whether we asked for them or not . so i tried moderation most days we were there. now i am at a critical point because i did get used to moderately eating desserts and snacks . this could potentially be a problem if i don't get my habit back on track which i have today (monday) and hope to the rest of the week. I have to get this back for the rest of the month and get used to not eating sweets again until saturday/sunday. i like that i was able to somehow moderately eat sweets but i know that is not sustainable. know thyself... most importantly.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

Lady Crimson

What causes me to fall out of no s.

Post by Lady Crimson » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:29 am

No S is the simplest and easiest diet I have ever tried. It is also effective while being nearly effortless after the first couple of weeks. Yet, the longest I have stayed on it is about 4 months. Why because I want to lose faster and no s is a slow weight loss diet. The rational part of my mind keeps piping up and reminding me that if I had stayed on no s back when I first discovered it, years ago, I would be at my ideal weight by now. But the rest of my mind keeps telling me that all I have to do is go on one of the fast diets for a few months and then go back to no s to maintain. But it never happens that way. What happens is that the fast diet is too restrictive (which is why it is fast) which leads to ending the diet by pigging out on whatever was restricted and regaining weight. :oops: and I know this!

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:20 am

Thank you so much all for sharing! This is such a valuable source of information for me and hopefully everyone. Knowing the pitfalls and knowing which might apply to ourselves is half the game.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016