Another new No S Dieter

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Daisy

Another new No S Dieter

Post by Daisy » Thu May 25, 2006 12:54 pm

Hi everyone, came across this website by chance yesterday and have decided to give it a go. Yesterday was my first day and I had no problem with sticking to the "rules" and I am on course to succeed today as well. I would also like to say a big thank you to Reinhard - you have done a great thing by making so much information available to everyone and offering the support you do. :D

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 26, 2006 3:09 am

Welcome Daisy! You're very welcome. Hope no-s works out for you and I look forward to hearing more.

Best,

Reinhard

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Fri May 26, 2006 7:18 am

Many thanks for the welcome. I just also wanted to add that this is so liberating. I was following the slimming world plan where you have to count "syns" and you are only allowed to eat certain foods together. With this system I can just eat what I fancy without having to track back through the days food diary to see if I have already eaten my allocation of bread for the day etc. And I know I shouldn't have done this, but this morning on day 3 I did jump on the scales, and I have lost a pound already, this is great because I hadn't lost anything for 3 weeks on Slimming World. So 1lb lost - just another 27 to go!!!! Regards to all Daisy :D

terryval

Post by terryval » Sat May 27, 2006 4:42 pm

Welcome, Daisy! I've been doing this a long time - even before I found this site - and it does work, both for weight loss and weight management. It does take some discipline, but it really is very simple and you see results almost immediately - and for me, that is more motivating than anything.

Best wishes!

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Sun May 28, 2006 8:12 am

Hi Terryval, thanks for your message. How much weight have you lost since you started eating the "No S Way". I have been reading through the discussion boards, but people don't tend to put their starting weight and weight loss statistics down very often (at least on the ones I have read so far). I'm just intrigued to know what sort of weight loss I can expect.

I have gradually been losing weight over the last 5 years. After having my daughter I went up to 185lbs, but then went on to Atkins and lost 14lbs, but couldn't keep that up, so did Weight Watchers (where I felt constantly hungry, but lost no weight) and then Slimming World where I lost another 14lbs. But since Christmas, the lbs have slowly been creeping back on, so I decided to follow the Slimming World Diet again, but quite honestly I really don't wont to get back into that slimming frame of mind again, and having to count everything I eat.

When I came across this website, it just seemed to be so straightforward and made so much sense, the simple ideas are usually the best, and I think I can really do this. During the first 3 days, whenever I felt slightly tempted to cheat, I just said to myself - you don't do that anymore, unless its the weekend - and just thinking that seems to work for me.

Sorry if I have rambled on a bit, but I am just so happy to have found you all, everyone seems so friendly and offers so much support to each other - it kind of restores your faith in people.

Kind regards to all - Daisy :D

terryval

Post by terryval » Sun May 28, 2006 8:54 pm

I have actually been doing this for 17 years (yes, I started when I was 15), and as I mentioned in another post, I always thought it was my own "thing" until I came across this website.

As with you, my weight has gone up and down over the years as my discipline has waned and my activity levels have varied, and I now consider this method to be a "lifetime weight management" system than merely a means of weight loss. I don't remember how much I weighed when I started, but I did have some childhood "chubbiness" to work off, due to a condition that had restricted excercise. Apparently to my 15-year old mind I weighed too much :lol: , but it was probably around 115-120 lbs. I am 5'2" now, and may have been a little shorter then (I think I stopped gaining height around then or shortly after). Now I weigh probably between 125-130 lbs. - ironically, but I have been as low as 108 to my recollection, maybe lower. I do recall losing weight within a few months of starting, to the point that I had quite "the bod" in high school - although of course at the time I could not lose enough, but I would almost kill now to have the body I had then. :)

Munchies and finger food are my downfall, so there has always been the struggle not to nibble on weekdays. My appetite skyrockets when I'm under stress, and my motivation gets blown every time I go on vacation. I have recently renewed my determination and hope to get back down to 110-115 lbs, which seems reasonable for a person of my height and bone frame. And I am also incorporating another method which will hopefully help with hunger pangs (the Shangri-la Diet, which I may bring up in another post; you can Google it to find out how it works).

My method has been slightly different, even though the basic idea is the same. I've always restricted calories and tried to make what I did eat healthy. I didn't always cut out sugar; dessert and "sweets" were no-no's, but I would put jelly on toast and eat sweetened yogurt. "Low-fat" was the mantra while I grew up, and that's the mindset I'm still in - the Covert Bailey school of "eat-less-fat-to-be-less-fat". I think it's still a good idea, since less fat means I get to eat more food for the same calories, but in recent years I eat peanut butter and avocado when I would never have touched them before. A while back I tried cutting out ALL refined sugar - no sweetened cereal, no jelly, no sugar in the tea or coffee; only "naturally" sweet things like fruit or honey (except on S days, of course). I lost weight, but the effect waned after a few months, either because my body got wise to it or because I didn't stick to it well enough after awhile. Looking back, it may have been mostly water weight, since water accompanies carbs, but I think it's worth a try again.

In short, to the "NoS" rules I have added 1)low-fat, 2)lots of fruits and veggies, and 3)don't eat supper too late. I don't count calories anymore, but after all this time I know how "full" I should feel before I've eaten too much. I also started running when I was 15, and have done some form of excercise (swimming, biking, aerobics, weight-lifting, and now cardio-kickboxing) ever since.

Now it's my turn to ramble. :) I hope I've answered your question(s). Even as a "seasoned veteran" it's comforting for me to know that other people see S-days as a necessary component of the whole system, whereas an "outsider" would immediately discard them as a wrench-in-the-works. I hope I haven't discouraged you, having been on this method for so long - you really can lose a fair amount of weight in a reasonable time; you just have to stay disciplined, and actively keep it off after you lose it. I'm glad you're so excited - nothing is as uplifting as hope. Happy losing!

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Mon May 29, 2006 9:17 am

Hi Terryval - thanks for your reply - I also see this as a lifelong weight management plan, of course once I have lost the weight.

I have been reading about "the Shangri-La diet" over the last few days - it sounds very interesting, and something that could be incorporated into "No S" very easily. I would be really interested to hear your views on it - if you have starting using this method.

The book isn't available in the UK yet, but I think I will get myself a copy as soon as it hits the bookshelves.

Kind regards Daisy

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon May 29, 2006 10:59 am

Hi, and welcome to No-S!

You probably should get very well established on the program before you consider adding anything else to it. Enjoy the simplicity and freedom of No-S!

Glad you found us. Hoping you will post often!

Jan

terryval

Post by terryval » Mon May 29, 2006 2:33 pm

I agree that you will probably want to take small steps....but Shangri-la doesn't really add any new restrictions; it just makes "dieting" more feasible by reducing one's appetite. I have been trying it for a couple of weeks now and I believe it's helping.

I have the book - it was maybe $12 on Amazon.com and I read it in a couple of evenings. This method may not be for everybody, of course, so maybe you should see how No-S works for you for a while and then look at trying other things. After all, I got by without anything else for 17 years! :).