Stanley Cup

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Scottgas2

Stanley Cup

Post by Scottgas2 » Fri May 25, 2007 3:22 am

In honor of the looming Stanley Cup finals, I have added a SG move I call "slapshot." I actually added it because I thought it would be golf friendly.
Grasp the handle with split hands, and take the hammer back and through to the side just like a hockey slapshot. Be sure to involve the core muscles so there is some real punch behind the shot. I do 25 each side.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 25, 2007 11:34 pm

Nice! I always thought baseball was the natural match for shovelglove, but this works, too.

Reinhard

Jishin

Post by Jishin » Tue May 29, 2007 8:08 pm

Heh. I had to join just to post to this thread.

For a slapshot, you don't grip quite like you would for a golf club or tennis racquet. Your hand that's lower down on your "stick" should be turned palm-up, so that your thumb and your fingers point towards the ceiling when they're closed over the stick. It's not like tennis, where you "shake hands" with the racquet. Not sure about golf hand positioning, I haven't really done any besides minigolf.

Also, remember to bend your knees well. (:

I actually took up shovelglove because I'm an inline hockey goalie, and I need some upper-body work. (: Been trying to think of what would be good work that mimics goaltending ... besides miming shoving your stick through peoples' skates. :wink:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed May 30, 2007 5:03 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Jishin -- and welcome to the group.

I'm not remotely qualified to advise on hockey simulating moves, but there seems to be quite a lot of google hits for "hockey sledgehammer training."

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl ... tnG=Search

Reinhard