grip 'o steel

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
SurfingBuddha

grip 'o steel

Post by SurfingBuddha » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:19 pm

I recently have gone back to aikido classes and yes, falling hurts more when you get older. Other than the odd bump or bruise I'm surviving quite well, however, everyone in class has been commenting upon my grip strength. A couple of the guys have even asked me what my "secret" training program is...one of the black belts told me he does pushups on softballs to promote hand strength.
So far no one has really been convinced about the whole SG thing. It seems 14 minutes is just not enough to produce the results that we all enjoy. Maybe if we made one of those fashy infomercials that plays on late night TV and sold hammers in three easy payments...
Build a man a fire, he stays warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:54 pm

I think secretly people like to believe that it takes more time to get fit than it really does, because it's a reproach to them for not doing it ("you can't even spare 14 minutes a weekday???").

Thanks for spreading the word though! Maybe it'll sink in after a while.

Reinhard[/i]

Gman

Post by Gman » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:33 am

For grip as a finnisher try 2 sledges together for a set amount of moves (but ease into it)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:06 am

Aikido is pretty cool stuff!
Hah!! Great that your grip is so formidable!
Do you know about the Aikido trick, "The Unbendable Arm"??
Good for you on your developments!
Peace,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

SurfingBuddha

Post by SurfingBuddha » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:56 pm

Hi Deb!
Thanks for the encouragment...I wish the unbendable are came with a fully articulating shoulder. I doinked mine again in a half-assed high fall...I think I'll be out of the dojo for a couple of weeks. It also means going back to the 10lb hammer.
Build a man a fire, he stays warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.