Back after 2 years

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
jordonk27

Back after 2 years

Post by jordonk27 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:36 pm

After picking up No S two years ago, I thought I'd try my hand at shugging. I got an 8-lb. hammer (I'm pretty weak), overexerted myself, and stayed away for two years. I'm in college now, and something has called me back: could it be that I'm jealous of how fit my roommate is, or that I want to feel good and attract the ladies? Probably a little bit of all of those.

Anyway, I got the old 8-pounder (I'm still pretty weak) and started with it again today. My mistake last time was going for the full 14 minutes too soon, so I restarted by just doing a certain number of sets of Reinhard's original 4: Shoveling, Churning Butter, Chopping Wood, and No Name. (I did about 10 of each for each side before going back to the Shoveling.)

That took about 5 minutes. By then, I could feel the burn (a good burn!), but only in my arms. So I'm thinking of trying the Ab Killer next time. Has anybody had good results with it? (I know, I know, this isn't about getting rock-hard abs in a week, but I'm impressed by how quickly I lost weight with No S, and how I've lost even more by Urban Rangering around campus.)

Also, being from Florida, I've never had an extra sweater to tie to the end of my hammer. (And to be perfectly frank, I'm not very good at tying things other than my shoelaces.) So in my small dorm room, I'm asking for trouble. Would something like a towel work instead?

I guess I'm kind of thinking out loud here. Anyway, it's good to be back, and if anyone has some advice for a beginner like me (6'1", 168-lb. college student who has never liked to exercise), then I'd love to hear it.

Kevin

Hey, I remember you...

Post by Kevin » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:45 am

You could just get some foam of some kind and duct tape it around the head.

Frankly, I've never padded my hammer.

Welcome back. Have fun with it. You'll do fine. Stick with it this time!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:17 pm

Welcome back, Jordonk.

I would recommend tying something around the sledgehammer. I'm not a particularly gifted tyer either, but, after a few flop offs, once you get the darn sweater on, it'll be many months before you have to worry about repeating the process. Duct tape is also not a bad idea. It'll take a little longer to apply, but it takes no skill and should stay on for approximately forever. It will be more irritating to undo and reapply if you suddenly want to use the hammer as an actual tool for something.

I guess my top piece of advice would be: be regular. Focus on setting a very easily attainable goal, and then consistently meeting it. If for whatever reason 14 minutes every N-day isn't for you, then decide what is, and stick to it. It does not take much physical work to see great results -- it just takes patience and consistency.

Reinhard

Mr Jack

Post by Mr Jack » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:45 pm

I covered mine in bubble wrap, secured with masking tape.