New, but not sore. Am I doing something wrong?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
silvermoon

New, but not sore. Am I doing something wrong?

Post by silvermoon » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:00 am

Hi there,

I completed my first week of shugging and I really like it. I'm doing the basic moves (shovel, chop, churn, lever), plus the tricep lift. As a woman, I like that this is such a strong upper body workout.

So, my question is this. I read over and over how sore people are after shugging for the first few times. As a result, I started slow, with an 8 lb sledge and working to begin with for 7 minutes. Next day was 9 min, and I felt a little soreness in my biceps. Next day was 10 min, then 11, then 12. So, I really haven't gotten sore at this point, which seems odd to me. I'm not a brute and I haven't lifted weights in ages. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong? Is there a good speed to work at, maybe I'm doing too few reps? (doing 7 reps, and making about 4-5 cycles through in 12 mins)

The other question is, don't I need to get sore as my signal that I'm forming more muscle? Am I accomplishing anything if my muscles aren't aching a little??

Thanks for any advice,

silvermoon

jordonk27

Post by jordonk27 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:42 pm

It seems to me that doing more reps tends to increase soreness. The fact that you've eased in to doing the whole 14 minutes rather than starting at it straight away seems to have helped, too. As a teenager who never exercised much before discovering shovelglove, I can attest that using an 8-lb. hammer for 14 minutes was impossible to start with. I tried it, and I couldn't move my arms for days. I had to ease in to the full 14 minutes over the course of a week or two.

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:15 pm

THanks for the response. Yeah, I'm sure the 8 lb hammer isn't too light -- I can barely lift my arms for about 30 mins after. Today I did my first 14 minute session -- hooray! I'll try increasing the reps (though on some, I'm not sure I could increase it much).

Good to hear your experience with this.

-- Silvermoon

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:56 pm

You're not sore because you're the first person ever to have eased into this correctly! :-)

I wouldn't worry about this too much. Getting sore is really, really easy. The trick is not getting too sore. Keep upping the ante very, very slowly -- more minutes (up to 14), more reps, slide your hands further down the shaft for more leverage. Don't be discouraged, you're doing exactly the right thing -- build habit first, carve out the time, and keep that most powerful excuse, injury from overdoing it, far at bay.

Reinhard

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:51 am

Well, I took it extra easy after reading all the stories of being so unbelievably sore! I have two kids -- I can't afford not to be able to lift my arms! :lol:

Thanks for the input -- now that I'm up to 14 minutes (we'll see how the arms are in the morning!) I'll increase the reps, etc. Have a good one!

-- Silvermoon