Shovelglove sequence

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
winnie96

Shovelglove sequence

Post by winnie96 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:36 pm

During yesterday's shovelglove session, for some reason I decided to do all the moves to the left first, then all the moves to the right. I usually do Move #1 to the left then right, then Move #2 to the left then right, etc.

Running through the whole routine one side at a time seemed to add a little extra to the workout, maybe because I wasn't spending any time in transitioning from left to right with each move.

(My routine is 28 left and 28 right of shoveling, churning butter, chop wood, flip the level, back scratch, shoulder sledge, ab killer, water pump, and pull weeds).

Does anyone have any thoughts on shugging one side at a time? I kind of liked it, but wonder if that misses some of the point, e.g. is the LR transition in each move important to the overall scheme of shovelglove? Or am I overthinking this ...

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:44 pm

Yes, you're overthinking it...

LOL.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:58 pm

Hi Winnie, I'd say you are onto something here and that was an interesting observation about how it feels a bit harder to do a whole side at a time.
I'd say that you are right in your observation that you are indeed getting a harder workout this way, because the repetitions on one side are more and therefore you are pushing your muscles to go for longer with endurance and causing them to fatigue a bit more.
Good luck with whatever you do!
The fact you are doing it all together is fantastic!
Keep up the good work!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

morganalefay

Post by morganalefay » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:44 pm

This is interesting, I think I'll have a go with it. I'll report back on how I find it.
It's vital to know exactly how ridiculous you are.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:54 pm

It doesn't surprise me that doing one side at a time would be harder -- in fact, I'd worry that it might be unpleasantly (even dangerously) so.

Be careful!

Reinhard

morganalefay

Post by morganalefay » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:56 pm

I did try this yesterday. I didn't go beserk with it - I did 7 reps of everything on one side, 7 reps of everything on the other side, then did it all over again with 14 reps of everything, which took me up to the timer. I found it an interesting variant which I shall try again some time. It is definitely harder, and anyone else trying it might want to start with short sets of everything.

For the record, my usual routine is some random combination of: shovel, churn butter, hoist sack chop wood/smite orc, bell-ringing (deep squats holding the hammer facing downwards about a foot from the business end and lifting it up over my head as I rise) ab killer, flip the lever, one-sided squat and poke (stand with legs apart, bend one knee while poking with the hammer in the same direction) and row your boat. I can usually get in one set of 7 and 14 reps, or 5 and 15 reps, before the timer goes off.

morganalefay

Post by morganalefay » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:59 pm

Just a quick update: I've been using this 'one-sided' routine for some time now - usually once a week or so, as I like to mix my routines up regularly. It definitely counts as 'hard'. Today I did 7 then 14 of: shovel, bell ringing, churn butter, drive fence posts/smite the orc, one-legged squat and poke, hoist sack, ab killer, pull weeds and row the boat. The 7-rep set wasn't too hard but with 14 reps it starts to get my wrists and forearms towards the end.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:50 pm

Thanks for the update. Very helpful to know which of the many interesting ideas posted here are "keepers!"

Reinhard