Swinging a weight around is exhilarating

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
dittany

Swinging a weight around is exhilarating

Post by dittany » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:25 pm

That's it really. I suppose all regular shovelglovers know this already.

I've done free weights and used gym machines before but they are deadly dull and hard to stay motivated with. In fact I never managed it, even for very short periods - I've got a box of free weights that I haven't used in over a year in my cupboard. On the other hand so far I am finding this fun, pretending to be a French coalminer (thanks Reinhard!) or a milk maid in the dairy. I've also been enjoying paddling my canoe up the Orinoco river. You just can't do that in a weights room.

OK I've probably given too much away now. There's definitely something in the swing and the weight of it that makes it enjoyable though. The energy really begins to flow.

dittany

Post by dittany » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:07 pm

It must be just me then. :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:25 pm

Hahah no not just you Dittany!
Swinging the hammer is sooooo much more fun than boring ol' dumbells!!
I haven't been active at this for a long time, but when I did it, I always enjoyed that feeling too :wink:
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

CriticalMass

Post by CriticalMass » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Sorry, I thought your original post was rhetorical. There is definitely something ridiculous and fun about it. I think nobody chimed in partly because this forum is less active than the diet forum.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:59 pm

dittany,

Sorry I spaced on this post till now. Yes, absolutely. Lifting weights seems like self-torture in comparison. It's not just the "acting" element (though I think that's the bigger part), there's also something physical about the full, swinging movements that feels liberating.
I think nobody chimed in partly because this forum is less active than the diet forum.
The shovelgove site gets very comparable traffic to no-s, but I guess shuggers are more laconic than no-essers :-)

Reinhard