Demonstration video

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Matthew Warner

Demonstration video

Post by Matthew Warner » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:16 pm

Hey all,

It's been awhile since I've posted here, but I've continued working out with my sledgehammers.

So many of my friends ask me about this routine ("you're doing what?") that yesterday I created a demonstration video. I gave credit to shovelglove.com. I hope you enjoy it:

Click here to watch.

david

Post by david » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:50 pm

Nice work. I'll have to try some of those doubled hammer moves.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:59 pm

Nice! Higher production values than my originals (music! annotations!).

I like the double-hammer action as well.

pd3

Post by pd3 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:51 pm

This reminds me why I love shovelglove. Effective disciplined work out that retains some variability and quirkiness in both the routines and the music.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:22 am

The video is a generous contribution that will help those first exploring Shovelglove get started. That said, trainees should consider it a launching pad for adding their own creativity to the movements. As an example, (even though SG is ideal for small training areas) doing movements (when space allows) that involve stepping, lunging, turning, shifting, squatting, etc., (i.e., more leg work, more whole-body, etc.,) are quite beneficial. (I have found "spiral" stepping movements moving the SG overhead, as in some martial art sword/stick arts, to be quite satisfying.) As another example, in many of the movements in the video, the hand closest to the hammer is very close or right up against the hammer. I understand, or course, that this leverage position lightens the weight. However, I would encourage trainees to experiment with doing those movements with the "hammer-hand" significantly lower down on the handle. (As in, for example, simulated shoveling and striking movements.) FWIW, in the real-world applications of such movements, (e.g., stiking or shoveling, etc.,) the "hammer-hand" out of practicality and safety, would not be so close to the "business-end".

Again, all in all, for someone in a "where do I start, how do I do this?" frame of mind, the video should be very helpful. After a few run-throughs though, the trainee, with appropriate regard for safety and common-sense, should "liberate" him/her self to explore other "interpretations" of the movements.

There is a saying in martial arts that talks about the stage a trainee aspires to after mastery of the basics. (A martial artist practicing drills and then using technique in real life; A musician practicing drills and then "improvising", etc.) "Enter through form, exit from form".

BTW, a popular martial arts term has an amusing similarity to a created ShovelGlove term. Shugyo ! :D