Shuggernaut's return.

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Shuggernaut

Shuggernaut's return.

Post by Shuggernaut » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:04 pm

As soon as I sat down to write this post, Boston's "Long Time" immediately started playing inside my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTFD5DZwK7g

Yes, indeed, since the last time I posted here, "It's been such a long time. I think I should be goin', yeah. Time doesn't wait for me; it keeps on rollin'. Sail on, on a distant highway, yeah, I've got to keep on chasin' a dream. I've gotta be on my way..."

Specifically, it's been about 7 months since I built my "Hellboy" shovelglove, began working out with it, started a blog, and enthusiastically told you all about it. What have I accomplished since then? Well, quite a bit, both professionally and personally. In terms of weight loss and shovelgloving, though? I'm embarrassed to admit, not much at all.

About 2 weeks after I last posted here, I accepted a position of employment 5 hours north of where my wife and I had then been living, along with our four kids and one dog. For the first several weeks, until I could move our entire household here, I lived alone in a tent, making the 5-hour trip south every weekend to be with my family and to move all of our things into a storage garage. For the rest of the summer, we expanded to two tents (plus a smaller one for food storage), and my whole family lived at a campground near my place of work. Finally, we completed the process of purchasing a house, and have been busy settling into our new home ever since.

It shames me to confess that, throughout this process, my shovelgloving screeched to a halt, and my adherence to No-S has been spotty, at best. I have managed to at least not gain any weight, but am still hovering right around the 240-pound mark.

Well, "Time doesn't wait for me; it keeps on rollin'." And it's definitely time for me to get back on track with achieving my previously stated goals. I'm perfectly comfortable acknowledging my human-ness and forgiving myself for temporarily falling off-course, but for the sake of accountability, I've decided to re-emerge here and, once again, publically state my intentions to do the work and make these dreams a reality.

As always, thanks to everyone here for being such a supportive online community, and congratulations to all of you for your many successes!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:36 pm

Welcome back! I remember you and Hellboy fondly. :-)

Sounds like you had some very compelling excuses!

In any case, glad to hear you're back in action and welcome back to the board.

Reinhard

Shuggernaut

Post by Shuggernaut » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:57 pm

Thanks, Reinhard :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:03 pm

I imagine you did a lot of lifting and getting up and down living in a tent and moving the contents of your house. Functional counts!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Shuggernaut

Post by Shuggernaut » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:02 am

Yes I did, and yes it does :) ! I consider the fact that I avoided gaining weight throughout this process (our 11th and final move in 4 years) to be some small feat, as I do tend to "stress eat."