Rowing movements

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
sledge

Rowing movements

Post by sledge » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:26 pm

Found a copy of Field and Stream that put them into 'categories':

J -stroke: This is the stnd. one where you move the paddle (sledge :wink: ) one either side of your body, front to back.

Pry stroke: hold paddle on side by hip and push 'outward', away from your hip with bottom hand (by sledge head) doing more work and the top hand pulling in.

Draw stroke: just like Pry, where it takes place on the side of your hip, but hold the paddle (sledge) at arms lengths and pull towards the hip, again with bottom hand (towards sledge head) and push away with the top hand.

Try 20 of each, for each side of the body. :)

phayze

Post by phayze » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:24 pm

Cool, thanks for sharing! Have you tried "back paddling"? It really hits that upper part of the Pec major as well as most of the shoulder muscles.
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

sledge

Post by sledge » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:30 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:
I never thought of the 'back paddle' :oops:

OK...now I have 4 to do.

Thanks!! :wink:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:13 pm

Very nice.. there have been a lot of rowing movements proposed, but nothing as precise as this. I've been doing a confused rowing variant for a while (more like tossing the sledge from one hand to another), but this precision is inspiring...

Could make for a great "Galley slave" or "Ben Hur" scenario (though I guess that was yet a different kind of stroke...)

Reinhard

Samurai

Defending the walls

Post by Samurai » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:56 pm

I used a rowing movement in one of the scenarios I put together when we were still on the Yahoo list, although I forget which scenario. I remember rowing across the lake to cut lumber for the castle defenses, or something like that. :lol:
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

srbliss

Rowing

Post by srbliss » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:53 pm

I have found that making ellipses while rowing without stopping really really works my forearms. Much more so than doing the exact same movement and pausing at the start and end of each stroke. I have not tried doing this in reverse yet.
Steve