Intro, sledgehammer alternative, and question

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
zachawry

Intro, sledgehammer alternative, and question

Post by zachawry » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:38 am

Hi. I've been commenting here the past couple days, but have yet to formally introduce myself. My name is Zak, I live in Japan, and have been SGing for a couple weeks now. I have never had any upper body strength, but SG has already gotten my from 5 pushups to 10. Nice.

So, I was in the hardware store and on the way to checkout, new sledgehammer in hand (would have ordered from Amazon but thought transcontinental shipping on a sledgehammer might have been a little pricey :wink: ), when I saw something I just had to have: a 5'10" cast iron crowbar, weighing 22 lbs. I love this thing, and use it together with my sledgehammer. It's so long I have to be really careful using it indoors, but it's a lot of fun to use, and is really good for whole-body exercises. For example, I'll hold it with both hands about two feet apart, squat down, and pretend to row a kayak. First forwards, then backwards. I have some training in Chinese martial arts, and have used both staff and spear, so I know how to power everything from my center. When I want to get a better upper-body workout I try to just use my arms and shoulders, and when I want to work my "core strength" I'll use my hara/dan-tien/center. All in all I think the long heavy pole is a good adjunct to the sledgehammer.

Also, one question: I've been reading peoples' detailed regimens here, but mine is as follows: do an exercise until I get tired, followed by whatever exercise I feel like next until I'm tired. Repeat for 14 minutes. Anybody else here like that?
====================
Zachary Braverman
Kyoto, Japan
www.kotodama.net

srbliss

I'm a newbee but

Post by srbliss » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:09 am

Hello Zachary-san,
I think you should only go 14 minutes with the hammer (or the cool crowbar) If you want to do more good stuff feel free to do so. I like to do my 14 minutes and then do a few more body weight exercises to finish. I am starting to work really hard to go "full bore" during my 14 minutes. See my posts for more details.
Steve
Could you post a picture of your cool tool. We have something similar here in the states (I think) it's usually used for landscaping, good for prying out stumps and stuff.

zachawry

Post by zachawry » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:13 am

Steve,
What I meant was that, for a period of 14 minutes, I just go from exercise to exercise, not counting reps or going in any particular order. And, I'll get a photo up soon.
====================
Zachary Braverman
Kyoto, Japan
www.kotodama.net

srbliss

Post by srbliss » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:14 am

zachawry wrote:Steve,
What I meant was that, for a period of 14 minutes, I just go from exercise to exercise, not counting reps or going in any particular order. And, I'll get a photo up soon.
Hello again Zachary-san,
What "I" do is go like crazy for 14 minutes. I count reps.. You don't have to - It's YOUR exercise program do what you like. Just do it.
PS it Zachary-san the correct greeting for you? I have used what I hope is correct for many years with my Japanese co-workers.
Steve (Steve-san for my Japanese friends!)

phayze

Post by phayze » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:53 pm

Nice idea, Zak! I've done a bit of canoe-type paddling with my hammer, but it's always felt a little awkward. Is this what you're using? I would worry quite a bit about losing track of the ends of that thing, but I'll bet it's great for developing situational awareness. ;) Do you do any other moves with it, too? I'll bet it would be great for practicing staff moves - hickory would feel like nothing after swinging that beast around for a while!

Congrats on the progess, too - it sounds like you're getting one hell of an endurance workout with that scheme. I'm too methodical for my own good sometimes, so I'm not sure how I'd make out with it. Maybe I'll give it a shot sometime and see how it feels.
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

david

Post by david » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:35 pm

I have so far been able to resist buying a huge freaking wrecking bar. You are not helping me Zak! I think the sledge and the bar are an awesome combo. Get yourself a 50 kilo sandbag or keg as well and you will get strong quick!

--david

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:09 am

I haven't used anything besides a sledge, but there's really no reason not too. The sledge is just a convenient device to channel the important stuff: the fun of useful movements, etc. If you've got room, the 6 foot staff sounds great.

I would be nervous about doing a single move to exhaustion just because of the risk of injury. Even if it doesn't actually hurt you but only feels like torture, I don't know, there's something that turns me off about it. But you sound like you know what you're doing, and if you get a kick out of the hard coreness of maxing yourself out, that's great.

I'm actually getting fonder and fonder of the opposite: really small rep sets (just 7 reps a set). It's interesting, feels safer, keeps the pace up, and keeps all your muscles sort of smouldering for the duration. Right now I do this mondays and thursdays (tuesday and wednesday are more traditional 42/21/14 routines, friday is freestyle).

More here:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1128

Thanks for the intro and looking forward to hearing more,

Reinhard

zachawry

Post by zachawry » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:56 am

phayze wrote:Nice idea, Zak! I've done a bit of canoe-type paddling with my hammer, but it's always felt a little awkward. Is this what you're using?
Essentially, although mine is a couple inches shorter but about 1/3 heavier.

One other thing I do is hold it at one end, hands shoulder-width apart, squat down with one foot forward, as though it were a spear and I was about to run and ram somebody with it, then turn the far end in circles. Again I get this from my Taichi training. You can use your center to turn it, in which case it's a core strength exercise, or you can use mostly your shoulders and arms.
====================
Zachary Braverman
Kyoto, Japan
www.kotodama.net

phayze

Post by phayze » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:07 pm

Cool - we do circles with sword-points in stage combat and fencing, but it's more of a wrist/forearm exercise when you're using a one-handed weapon. I tried it with the sledge once, but it was . . . "unwieldy". ;)

Maybe I'll give the two-handed version a shot next time I'm free-styling.
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

zachawry

Post by zachawry » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:22 pm

reinhard wrote:
I would be nervous about doing a single move to exhaustion just because of the risk of injury. Even if it doesn't actually hurt you but only feels like torture, I don't know, there's something that turns me off about it. But you sound like you know what you're doing, and if you get a kick out of the hard coreness of maxing yourself out, that's great.
Well, I pace myself so that I will be exhausted by the end of the 14 minutes, but not before. I definitely don't do every single exercise to exhaustion. If I did, then I'd only be able to do one. :wink:
====================
Zachary Braverman
Kyoto, Japan
www.kotodama.net