That Wasn't There Before

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
jwynia

That Wasn't There Before

Post by jwynia » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:17 pm

Just thought I'd share this bit of encouragement I got this weekend.

I've been working with the sledge for about 3 weeks now along with doing 50 bodyweight squats a day. I've defintely started seeing muscle gains, but on Friday night got the real boost that this is working.

My wife reached over to hold my arm in bed (totally G rated story, I promise) and said, "What's that?"

I couldn't figure out what she meant and she said, "That wasn't there before" and squeezed my upper arm.

Apparently, the muscle is actually noticable beyond me trying to see improvement.
--
J Wynia
The Glass is Too Big
Email: j@wynia.org
Site: http://www.wynia.org
Podcast: http://www.glasstoobig.com

phayze

Post by phayze » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:17 pm

Ah, the true test of any fitness plan: Impressing the opposite sex! Congrats, man! :D
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

srbliss

Re: That Wasn't There Before

Post by srbliss » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:38 am

jwynia wrote:
I couldn't figure out what she meant and she said, "That wasn't there before" and squeezed my upper arm.
I'm still waiting for that encouragement from my wife. :shock: "I" see it clearly I feel it even more (my arms don't hang down flat at my sides anymore - silly wing muscles are in the way these days.) Of course I still shugg in "secret." I'll let the cat out of the bag once she notices something.
Steve
Started NOS and Shovelglove August 21, 2006.

VanillaGorilla

Post by VanillaGorilla » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:44 am

There truly is not much that is a greater ego boost and makes you feel you are on the right track with your fitness plan than when the ladies notice. I have really been watching my diet lately since I got into a habit of not making great food choices (Had the exercise thing down pat for quite some time), and recently my lady commented that I looked very, very good particularly in the stomach area. Always had fairly decent shoulders and arms, but the abs tended to elude me due to my diet practices.

Hell, even her sister commented on how great I looked! :lol:

Congrats! It definitely is a good feeling. 8)
Fall down seven times, get up eight.

phayze

Re: That Wasn't There Before

Post by phayze » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:51 am

srbliss wrote:(my arms don't hang down flat at my sides anymore - silly wing muscles are in the way these days.)
keep it up and you'll look like this guy in no time:

I think Bruce Lee's father was a flying squirrel! :lol
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

VanillaGorilla

Post by VanillaGorilla » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:55 am

Or Batman. :lol:

I tend to like carrying just a bit more bulk, but I don't think much of anyone can deny that Bruce Lee had an incredible physique. If I could carry a bit more muscle than that but be that ripped, I'd be quite happy indeed.

Mental note: Stop eating so much pizza, fool. :lol:

(Yes, I have been bad lately. Too many social events and mental excuses to eat "not so clean") :oops:

jwynia

Post by jwynia » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:43 am

Given that I'm 6'4", it would take a LOT of muscle and a lot more fat loss than is remotely likely for me to look anything like Bruce Lee or any of the latex Batmen (though I do have a shot at 1960's TV Batman).

But, I've been with my wife for over 10 years, so I'm not aiming to be the envy of the ladies in general, just the one next to me. I'd be perfectly happy with a middle that doesn't stick out more than my hips, which is somewhere between here and the washboard.
--
J Wynia
The Glass is Too Big
Email: j@wynia.org
Site: http://www.wynia.org
Podcast: http://www.glasstoobig.com

VanillaGorilla

Post by VanillaGorilla » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:51 am

"Ripped to shreds" certainly isn't the be all/end all. I'm somewhat lean but not completely ripped by any stretch of the imagination. It's very possible to have a decent physique without going overboard. Aiming for a flatter stomach with a bit less bodyfat and good general fitness is definitely an attainable goal for anyone that wants to put in the work towards it and still enjoy life a bit.
Some of us (myself plenty of times...lol) just get too hung up in the mentality of "not quite good enough" and forget that there are a lot of other things out there besides lifting a heavier weight and 5% bodyfat.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:26 pm

Great news!!!!!
Cool!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness