Heading to the "dark side"

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
srbliss

Heading to the "dark side"

Post by srbliss » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:04 pm

I cleared off my long unused Bowflex contraption that I bought used a few years ago. I hurt my weak back using it for the very first time. Now that shugging has "beefed" up my lower back I am going to give it another try. I am still going to start off my morning workout with my favorite 14 minutes of hammer time, it should be a great warm-up routine.

If it hurts me again I will sell it and buy a nice selection of hammers and dumbbells.

Steve
Started NOS and Shovelglove August 21, 2006.

barooo

Re: Heading to the "dark side"

Post by barooo » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:13 pm

srbliss wrote:I cleared off my long unused Bowflex contraption that I bought used a few years ago. I hurt my weak back using it for the very first time. Now that shugging has "beefed" up my lower back I am going to give it another try. I am still going to start off my morning workout with my favorite 14 minutes of hammer time, it should be a great warm-up routine.

If it hurts me again I will sell it and buy a nice selection of hammers and dumbbells.

Steve
Sell it and buy dumbells. Those things are dangerous. For what they cost you could probably buy a squat cage & oly bar. Of course unless you offer financing, it may be hard to sell :)

david

Post by david » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:07 pm

There was a hilarious article in one of Dan John's "Get Up" newsletters. In it, the guy got in shape using his bowflex three times a week for 20 minutes per session. The funny part was that he never took the machine out of the box--he would just pick up the package and carry it around for twenty minutes.

--david

hlidskjalf

Post by hlidskjalf » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:28 pm

I am currently using light dumbbells/multiple exercises as the EX component of my everyday systems. Sort of an experiment. If I get decent results I'll post more info. I will say as a "down side" that it takes much longer than 14 minutes though.
Burn all, burn everything. Fire is bright and fire is clean.

srbliss

Re: Heading to the "dark side"

Post by srbliss » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:25 am

barooo wrote:
Sell it and buy dumbells. Those things are dangerous. For what they cost you could probably buy a squat cage & oly bar. Of course unless you offer financing, it may be hard to sell :)
I'll pass on the huge weights. I like my little 40lb dumbbell and hammer. I got the bowflex used for a good price and like the workout it offers. I did about a 14 minute session this morning after hammer time and it felt pretty good.

Steve
Started NOS and Shovelglove August 21, 2006.