All You Really Need to Know

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
david

All You Really Need to Know

Post by david » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:23 pm

The core of Shovelglove:

"Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays."

"The number and the order of the movements is flexible. Do them at the pace and in the order that feels right to you. Pay careful attention to your form, so as not to strain yourself. Imagine that you really are performing the activities being simulated. The critical thing is to do it every weekday, no more, no less; for 14 minutes, no more, no less; in a careful, non spastic manner."

I'm done futzing around with other stuff--elaboration is just stunting my development. It's the core for me baby!

--david

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:45 pm

Amen to that!

It's tempting to just keep on experimenting with new stuff forever, but it's important to have a base from which to proceed. Those hard parameters: 14 minutes, N-days, a shovelglove, and mimicked real word movements are a great base -- simple and routine and fun enough for habit to work with, but also with sufficient wiggle room for experimentation built in.

Reinhard

david

Post by david » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:55 pm

For me other stuff is dead boring. I started a dumbbell program which I think is really good. However, since I'm used to SG, the workouts were too easy (even the advanced ones), and I was bored to tears even though the protocol was short, sweet, and simple. I think what was missing was the useful movement concept.

If I were training for an athletic event or military service I might do different stuff. Since I'm just looking for some weight bearing activity and a metabolism bump I don't think I'm going to find anything that fits ME better than shovelglove.

Thanks again, Reinhard!

--david

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:29 am

There is something to be said for keeping things simple. I think this is a major part of the appeal of most (all) of the everyday systems.

If a workout (diet, time management plan, etc.) is too complicated to use when you are tired, it probably won't be used for very long. Likewise, even the most effective plans will be laid aside if the person using them does not enjoy it (at least most of the time). Look at the folks who benefit the most from NoS. It is the ones who are no longer "on a diet." They have changed the way that they look at food. It has become a lifestyle, not an obligation.

Joel

phayze

Post by phayze » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:06 pm

That sounds like a great idea, David, but I really suck at "simple". :D I guess I just get bored with routines too easily, so I have to keep trying new stuff to keep myself mindful of what I'm doing.

I'm actually planning on conducting a little experiment this evening, which I hope will prove interesting . . . .I can say no more - top secret. The red dog howls at lunch time. :D
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

david

Post by david » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:32 pm

There is something to be said for variety, but I tend to "abuse" variety and actually end up with less intensity and thus, stagnation.

Once I evaluated my goals and determined that Shovelglove will help me meet those goals while still keeping me engaged and interested it was a no-brainer.

It's the old story about finding water by digging one hole, 100 feet down, rather than digging 100 holes, each one foot down.

I know that other people thrive on the variety, I'm just figuring out that it's not so good for me!

--david

phayze

Post by phayze » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:30 pm

that's what it's all about, man - finding what works for ya'. I'm just too difficult to please :lol:
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words