Sligthly crazed movements

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Mike23

Sligthly crazed movements

Post by Mike23 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:53 pm

This one clearly needs to be done outdoors or in a tall, wide room with no breakables!

http://www.atomicathletic.com/store/Pro ... tid=2MIW36

This one requires a little carpentry.

http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/export/ ... page5.html
Mike23

phayze

Post by phayze » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:56 pm

The ax thing reminds me of a move that I call "moulinets", based off of a sword technique. I remember seeing those Saxon guys on the History Channel once, though. Good stuff. :D
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:24 am

I used to do the figure eights except out at the sides, on each side.
It's a killer for the forearms! :wink:

Peace,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:03 am

I love it! The "EngelSaxon" (though I shouldn't claim credit). But yeah, needs a bit of space... and it would be hard to do slowly since you sort of have to throw the hammer and hold on.

He uses very light hammers, which might be necessary given the momentum you need to achieve. I'm not even going to try it with my 20 pounder. Might try it with my 12 though...

Funny after all this recent talk of specialty monster hammers for exercise that this site is selling specialty baby hammers for exercise.

Reinhard

david

Post by david » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:51 pm

Reinhard,

I've done it with my 10 and 12 pounders. You shouldn't have a problem--just don't smack yourself!

--david

Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:03 am

As an interesting aside, I was talking to my dad about shovelglove over christmas.

He finds it amusing that I do things as exercise that he's done all his life as part of his workday (builder, construction, labourer etc.)

The picture on that guys page with him holding his sledge by the end and bringing it down to touch his nose... Dad was telling me they used to do that as a bit of a lark all the time.

Apparently the deal was you take a demolition hammer (16lb sledge) and grab it by the handle towards the bottom, then just bring it up from the ground and touch your forehead with it. Same as the picture, but from front on, not the side.

One of dads mates managed to knock himself out doing it, no bloody way I'm gonna try it! :D

fungus

Post by fungus » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:31 pm

Pete wrote: The picture on that guys page with him holding his sledge by the end and bringing it down to touch his nose... Dad was telling me they used to do that as a bit of a lark all the time.
That guy's a wimp....check out the picture at the bottom of this page:

http://www.bigsteel.iwarp.com/Articles2 ... Ideas.html