4 months in, first time post, a few silly questions

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
unKle

4 months in, first time post, a few silly questions

Post by unKle » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:55 am

Well, I decided it was about time to actually post on the forums since I've been tossing a sledge around for over 4 months now.

Overall, it has been a great experience. I definitely notice the improvements in strength and I can see the improved definition in my arms. Like some, I don't really feel much of an abs workout but I know my core is getting hit when I exercise. I started with a 10 pounder and I took it easy for the first month; I wanted to get the movements down right and make sure I didn't tweak anything. Now I need to upgrade to a 12 pounder, and soon. I don't even have any soreness at all after a full 21 routine.

So a few silly questions. First off, I know doing weights 5x a week is frowned on, and we might even get 'better results' if it was toned down to 3x a week. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. Personally I find I am kind of addicted to throwing the sledge around for a routine, and sometimes even do it 6x a week. I guess I'd rather build the habit long term.

Second, how often to people mix up their routine? I've been throwing one of the other routines into the mix every once and awhile, and also considering randomizing the order of moves.

Well I can't think of anything else for now. It has been a good four months. I was at Home Depot today and I even tested a 16 pounder.. (they didn't have 12s), and honestly it felt pretty light. Not that I will do that jump.. 12 pounds should last for another 4 months I hope!

unkle

Kevin

Jump?

Post by Kevin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:39 am

A jump from 10 to 16 would be a big one, but you could do some things with the 16, and others with the 10 if you wanted to avoid the intermediate size. Or secure some weights to the 10 for a while.

I wouldn't worry about "over exercising". When using big weights, it's probably a good idea to let your muscles rest, but 10 or 12 or 16 pounds isn't such a big weight.

I vary my routines all the time. I find it helpful.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

sledgehammer

Re: 4 months in, first time post, a few silly questions

Post by sledgehammer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:52 am

unKle wrote:
So a few silly questions. First off, I know doing weights 5x a week is frowned on, and we might even get 'better results' if it was toned down to 3x a week....
Those who used to shovel coal for a living did this at least 5 days a week. Granted they died early but of black lungs, not physical exhaustion.
Your average weightlifting works muscle fibers to exhaustion and takes plenty of time to recover/heal. Shovelgloving gives muscle fibers a much higher range of motion with lower muscle strain. Muscle fibers are not abused, very little recovery or healing is needed.

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:51 pm

I know my core is getting hit when I exercise.
Hitting your abs with a shovelglove is not likely to improve core strength. I would re-think my approach to ab-work if I were you. :D

Exercising muscles on non-consecutive days is a bodybuilding technique designed for training protocols that involve muscle failure. Shovelglove is not a bodybuilding method; it develops strength-endurance. Assuming you are not overdoing it, you can train in this way five, six, or seven days a week. Rest days are important, but varying your technique and intensity can enable you to have active recovery days. For example, take a walk and do an abbreviated shovelglove routine if you want to workout but need a break. Instead of a full routine, run through the basic exercises doing sets of 5-10 reps. If you are pushing yourself hard during shovelglove sessions, by all means take a day (or two) of complete rest on the weekends.

Train, don't strain.

Joel

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:18 pm

Thanks for decloaking unKle! I'm glad it's working well for you.

I have no idea whether skipping days would be marginally physiologically more effective.... I'm happy enough with the results I've gotten, and I know if I did anything more complicated or less regular than every weekday it just wouldn't happen. I'm willing to trade that possible physiological benefit for this certain benefit in habit.

In terms of mixing up my routine, I'm very slow about this. I tend to be pretty conservative once I've hit on something reasonably satisfactory. But I give myself "freestyle" fridays as a sort of regular experimentation day.

Right now my big picture routine looks like this:

M: 7 rep sets of each movement. I usually get through about 2.5 iterations.
T: 42-21-14
W: 42-21-14
Th: 7 rep sets
F: freestyle.

Repeat Freestyles have included:

a) 10 of each movement no repeats, make up new movements if originals exausted.

b) 7 rep sets plus 7 pushups between each set

Reinhard

Kevin

variety.

Post by Kevin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:38 pm

Hmm. I do lots of varietal days. For instance, I do "hammer only" days, where motion must approximate something you can do with a hammer: I do 35 of each of hammering straight up at the roof; hammering straight foward like I'm trying to hit high on a wall; drive posts; split wood; fireman. That, by the way, is killer.

Other days I bring a small tire into the basement and wail on it for 100 or so strokes from each side, then hit it sort of like a bocce ball, then lean it up against a lolly column and hit it on the side.

Other days I do more shoveling motions and give my shoulders a rest from the overhead stuff.

I find the variety important.
Kevin

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:58 pm

Hitting your abs with a shovelglove is not likely to improve core strength. I would re-think my approach to ab-work if I were you. :D
Good one, Joel. =o)
Kevin

Kevin

muscle development versus connective tissue development

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:03 pm

With regard to the points in this thread about bodybuilding, lifting heavy weights probably develop your muscles faster and make them bigger, but I'm betting that the braking motion inherent in SG develops your tendons and ligaments in a way that slow, heavy dead lifting doesn't. Maybe it's just an impression. I'm wondering if there's any science...
Kevin